How to compile Perl script to Win32 dll?

Koms Bomb

I think it could be a smart idea i think building a C wrapper which calls
perl functions if that's the idea.
If you're familiar with C there's an issue too using XS modules (not easy).
That could be free using either gcc(cygwin) or BorlandC++ or either win32
free compilers (there are others).
As i can remember , there's a C function called DllEntryPoint which takes
several WIN32 parameters which are to be used for initing or resigning the
use of this dll... hope this helps.

I'm familiar with C and Win32 program.
Using Perl is an interesting approach, but not must. :)
I'll use other method to do my project.

Joe Smith

Koms said:
http://www.cpan.org/ports/index.html#win32
There are several package under Win32, I prefer the second one,
"Apache/Perl (binaries for both Perl-5.6/Apache-1.0/mod_perl-1 and
Perl-5.8/Apache-2/mod_perl-2) "

Following the links, I came to this documentation:

http://apache.bestwebcover.com/perl/win32-bin/perl-win32-bin.readme

This is a binary distribution for Win32 of Perl 5.6.1 and Apache 1.3.27,
together with mod_perl-1.27, mod_ssl / OpenSSL (0.9.7b),
and php-4.3.2, all built with VC++ 6.0 (SP5). Also included are some popular
non-core module packages such libnet, libwww-perl, Tk, and DBI.
Perl was built using the sources for build 635 provided by ActiveState.

http://apache.bestwebcover.com/perl/win32-bin/Perl-5.8-win32-bin.readme

This is a binary distribution for Win32 of Perl 5.8.4 and Apache 2.0.50,
together with mod_perl-1.99, mod_ssl / OpenSSL (0.9.7d),
and php-4.3.7, all built with VC++ 6.0 (SP5). Also included are some popular
non-core module packages such libnet, libwww-perl, Tk, and DBI.
Perl was built using the sources for build 810 provided by ActiveState.
Which kind of Perl do you prefer under Win32? Only ActivePerl?

Your "Apache Perl" is really ActivePerl packaged differently.

If you're only using Perl for CGI programming, then there is no need
to compile it.
1) mod_perl already avoids the overhead of re-parsing the script.
2) web users cannot see your source code; it is hidden and only the
output from the script is visible.

-Joe

Bart Lateur

A. Sinan Unur said:
I have chosen to stay away from bundles. One of these days I am going to
succeed in compiling Perl from sources using the free MSVC command line
compiler. :)

Isn't that MSVC compiler a "bundle", too?