How to Convert a string into binary

Discussion in 'Python' started by HNT20, Apr 15, 2006.

  1. HNT20

    HNT20 Guest

    Hello All

    i am new to python language. i am working on a gnuradio project where it
    uses python as the primary programming language. i am trying to convert
    a message, text, or numbers into binary code so that i can process it.

    i googled many times and tried many of the answers out there, no luck so
    far.

    is there a way to convert a string into its binary representation of the
    ascii table.??

    an example of what i want would be:

    hi --> 0110100001101001


    Thanks
    -HNT
     
    HNT20, Apr 15, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Em Sáb, 2006-04-15 às 19:25 +0000, HNT20 escreveu:
    > is there a way to convert a string into its binary representation of the
    > ascii table.??


    I'm very curious... why?

    And no, I don't have the answer.

    --
    Felipe.
     
    Felipe Almeida Lessa, Apr 15, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. HNT20

    Rune Strand Guest

    HNT20 wrote:
    > Hello All
    >


    def ascii_to_bin(char):
    ascii = ord(char)
    bin = []

    while (ascii > 0):
    if (ascii & 1) == 1:
    bin.append("1")
    else:
    bin.append("0")
    ascii = ascii >> 1

    bin.reverse()
    binary = "".join(bin)
    zerofix = (8 - len(binary)) * '0'

    return zerofix + binary



    some_string = 'Time to go now, Rummy?'

    binary = []
    for char in some_string:
    binary.append(ascii_to_bin(char))

    print binary
    print " ".join(binary)



    some_string = 'Time to go now, Rummy?'

    binary = []
    for char in some_string:
    binary.append(ascii_to_bin(char))

    print binary
    print " ".join(binary)

    """
    ['01010100', '01101001', '01101101', '01100101', '00100000',
    '01110100', '01101111', '00100000', '01100111', '01101111', '00100000',
    '01101110', '01101111', '01110111', '00101100', '00100000', '01010010',
    '01110101', '01101101', '01101101', '01111001', '00111111']
    01010100 01101001 01101101 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000
    01100111 01101111 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110111 00101100 00100000
    01010010 01110101 01101101 01101101 01111001 00111111
    """
     
    Rune Strand, Apr 15, 2006
    #3
  4. HNT20

    Duncan Booth Guest

    HNT20 wrote:

    > is there a way to convert a string into its binary representation of the
    > ascii table.??
    >
    > an example of what i want would be:
    >
    > hi --> 0110100001101001


    Why not just write some code to do it? e.g.

    >>> def b1(n):

    return "01"[n%2]

    >>> def b2(n):

    return b1(n>>1)+b1(n)

    >>> def b3(n):

    return b2(n>>2)+b2(n)

    >>> def b4(n):

    return b3(n>>4)+b3(n)

    >>> bytes = [ b4(n) for n in range(256)]
    >>> def binstring(s):

    return ''.join(bytes[ord(c)] for c in s)

    >>> binstring('hi')

    '0110100001101001'
     
    Duncan Booth, Apr 15, 2006
    #4
  5. HNT20

    Guest

    If (assuming this is correct, you can do more tests) the given strings
    are many and/or long, this can be a fast version. With Psyco this same
    version can become quite faster.
    Bye,
    bearophile


    from array import array

    class ToBinary(object):
    """ToBinary: class to convert a given string to a binary string."""
    def __init__(self):
    _nibbles = {"0":"0000", "1":"0001", "2":"0010", "3":"0011",
    "4":"0100", "5":"0101", "6":"0110", "7":"0111",
    "8":"1000", "9":"1001", "A":"1010", "B":"1011",
    "C":"1100", "D":"1101", "E":"1110", "F":"1111"}
    self._bytes = ["".join(_nibbles[h] for h in "%X"%i).zfill(8)
    for i in xrange(256)]
    def conv(self, s):
    if s:
    result = [self._bytes[el] for el in array("B", s)]
    result[0] = result[0].lstrip("0")
    return "".join(result)
    else:
    return "0"

    # Tests
    Conv2 = ToBinary()
    data = ["", "a", "b", "ab", "hello", "123456789"]
    for s in data:
    print s, Conv2.conv(s)
     
    , Apr 15, 2006
    #5
  6. "HNT20" <> wrote:

    > i am new to python language. i am working on a gnuradio project where it
    > uses python as the primary programming language. i am trying to convert
    > a message, text, or numbers into binary code so that i can process it.


    umm. characters and numbers are stored in binary code, inside your com-
    puter. what exactly makes you think you have to convert them to binary
    strings in order to process them ?

    </F>
     
    Fredrik Lundh, Apr 15, 2006
    #6
  7. HNT20

    HNT20 Guest

    wrote:
    > If (assuming this is correct, you can do more tests) the given strings
    > are many and/or long, this can be a fast version. With Psyco this same
    > version can become quite faster.
    > Bye,
    > bearophile
    >
    >
    > from array import array
    >
    > class ToBinary(object):
    > """ToBinary: class to convert a given string to a binary string."""
    > def __init__(self):
    > _nibbles = {"0":"0000", "1":"0001", "2":"0010", "3":"0011",
    > "4":"0100", "5":"0101", "6":"0110", "7":"0111",
    > "8":"1000", "9":"1001", "A":"1010", "B":"1011",
    > "C":"1100", "D":"1101", "E":"1110", "F":"1111"}
    > self._bytes = ["".join(_nibbles[h] for h in "%X"%i).zfill(8)
    > for i in xrange(256)]
    > def conv(self, s):
    > if s:
    > result = [self._bytes[el] for el in array("B", s)]
    > result[0] = result[0].lstrip("0")
    > return "".join(result)
    > else:
    > return "0"
    >
    > # Tests
    > Conv2 = ToBinary()
    > data = ["", "a", "b", "ab", "hello", "123456789"]
    > for s in data:
    > print s, Conv2.conv(s)
    >


    Thanks you very much, i will give this code a try. i hope it will work.
     
    HNT20, Apr 15, 2006
    #7
  8. HNT20

    HNT20 Guest

    Rune Strand wrote:
    > HNT20 wrote:
    >> Hello All
    >>

    >
    > def ascii_to_bin(char):
    > ascii = ord(char)
    > bin = []
    >
    > while (ascii > 0):
    > if (ascii & 1) == 1:
    > bin.append("1")
    > else:
    > bin.append("0")
    > ascii = ascii >> 1
    >
    > bin.reverse()
    > binary = "".join(bin)
    > zerofix = (8 - len(binary)) * '0'
    >
    > return zerofix + binary
    >
    >
    >
    > some_string = 'Time to go now, Rummy?'
    >
    > binary = []
    > for char in some_string:
    > binary.append(ascii_to_bin(char))
    >
    > print binary
    > print " ".join(binary)
    >
    >
    >
    > some_string = 'Time to go now, Rummy?'
    >
    > binary = []
    > for char in some_string:
    > binary.append(ascii_to_bin(char))
    >
    > print binary
    > print " ".join(binary)
    >
    > """
    > ['01010100', '01101001', '01101101', '01100101', '00100000',
    > '01110100', '01101111', '00100000', '01100111', '01101111', '00100000',
    > '01101110', '01101111', '01110111', '00101100', '00100000', '01010010',
    > '01110101', '01101101', '01101101', '01111001', '00111111']
    > 01010100 01101001 01101101 01100101 00100000 01110100 01101111 00100000
    > 01100111 01101111 00100000 01101110 01101111 01110111 00101100 00100000
    > 01010010 01110101 01101101 01101101 01111001 00111111
    > """
    >

    Thanks very much. this code looks really promising. i will try to
    implement this code and see if i get any luck

    HNT
     
    HNT20, Apr 15, 2006
    #8
  9. HNT20

    HNT20 Guest

    Felipe Almeida Lessa wrote:
    > Em Sáb, 2006-04-15 às 19:25 +0000, HNT20 escreveu:
    >> is there a way to convert a string into its binary representation of the
    >> ascii table.??

    >
    > I'm very curious... why?
    >
    > And no, I don't have the answer.
    >


    well, once i get the binary representations, i can group the data and
    modulate it to a higher frequency and transmit it for example, if i am
    using BPSK modulation, i will then convert each zero into -1 and
    multiply it with the sin function with the sampling frequency with a
    hamming window. and so forth. yet, the first step is to have a
    successful representation of the data.

    HNT
     
    HNT20, Apr 15, 2006
    #9
  10. HNT20

    Terry Reedy Guest

    "HNT20" <> wrote in message
    news:KMb0g.92182$...
    > i am new to python language. i am working on a gnuradio project where it
    > uses python as the primary programming language. i am trying to convert
    > a message, text, or numbers into binary code so that i can process it.

    .....
    > hi --> 0110100001101001


    I would start by making a lookup table to translate the ordinals of ascii
    chars to binary strings:
    a2b = ['00000000', '00000001', '00000010', etc ...
    using something that generates the binary strings (such as that posted).
    If you don't want any or all of the initial 32 control chars translated,
    replace the corresponding string with ''.

    Then your main program is very simple:

    # given string s
    binchars = []
    for c in s: binchars.append(a2b[ord(c)])

    #if you really then need one long string instead of the list of strings
    longstring = ''.join(binchars)
    #or use any other connector than '', such as ' '.

    Terry Jan Reedy
     
    Terry Reedy, Apr 15, 2006
    #10
  11. Em Sáb, 2006-04-15 às 18:09 -0400, Terry Reedy escreveu:
    > # given string s
    > binchars = []
    > for c in s: binchars.append(a2b[ord(c)])


    Faster:

    binchars = [a2b[ord(c)] for c in s]

    --
    Felipe.
     
    Felipe Almeida Lessa, Apr 16, 2006
    #11
  12. On Sat, 15 Apr 2006 21:47:02 GMT, HNT20 <> declaimed the
    following in comp.lang.python:

    >
    > well, once i get the binary representations, i can group the data and
    > modulate it to a higher frequency and transmit it for example, if i am
    > using BPSK modulation, i will then convert each zero into -1 and
    > multiply it with the sin function with the sampling frequency with a
    > hamming window. and so forth. yet, the first step is to have a
    > successful representation of the data.
    >

    For the (very rough) algorithm you give as an example, I'd probably
    just use a mask&shift cycle...

    >>> data = "abCDxYz"
    >>> for c in data:

    .... ic = ord(c)
    .... for i in range(8):
    .... if ic & 1:
    .... print 1,
    .... else:
    .... print -1,
    .... ic = ic / 2 #NOTE: running LSB first
    ....
    1 -1 -1 -1 -1 1 1 -1 -1 1 -1 -1 -1 1 1 -1 1 1 -1 -1 -1 -1 1 -1 -1 -1 1
    -1 -1 -1 1 -1 -1 -1 -1 1 1 1 1 -1 1 -1 -1 1 1 -1 1 -1 -1 1 -1 1 1 1 1 -1
    >>>


    If you really want to build strings of 1 and 0 first... Convert to
    hex, and use a lookup table...

    >>> table = { "0" : "0000",

    .... "1" : "0001",
    .... "2" : "0010",
    .... "3" : "0011",
    .... "4" : "0100",
    .... "5" : "0101",
    .... "6" : "0110",
    .... "7" : "0111",
    .... "8" : "1000",
    .... "9" : "1001",
    .... "A" : "1010",
    .... "B" : "1011",
    .... "C" : "1100",
    .... "D" : "1101",
    .... "E" : "1110",
    .... "F" : "1111" }
    >>> for c in data:

    .... x = "%X" % ord(c)
    .... for n in x:
    .... print table[n],
    ....
    0110 0001 0110 0010 0100 0011 0100 0100 0111 1000 0101 1001 0111 1010

    This runs in MSB order...
    --
    > ============================================================== <
    > | Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG <
    > | Bestiaria Support Staff <
    > ============================================================== <
    > Home Page: <http://www.dm.net/~wulfraed/> <
    > Overflow Page: <http://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/> <
     
    Dennis Lee Bieber, Apr 16, 2006
    #12
  13. HNT20

    John Machin Guest

    On 16/04/2006 5:25 AM, HNT20 wrote:
    >
    > hi --> 0110100001101001
    >


    This implies that the bits in a byte are transmitted MSB first. I
    haven't done anything anywhere near this area since about the time that
    acoustic couplers went the way of buggy whips, but my vague recollection
    is LSB first.
     
    John Machin, Apr 16, 2006
    #13
  14. HNT20

    Jesse Hager Guest

    The short version:

    def str2bin(s):
    return ''.join([''.join(['10'[not (m&ord(x))] for m in
    (128,64,32,16,8,4,2,1)]) for x in s])

    Notes:

    Split into 3 lines for newsgroup post, 3rd line is actually the end of
    the 2nd. It will run as shown above.

    Returns digits in MSB order, to return LSB first, reverse the order of
    the bit weights. (1,2,4,8,16,32,64,128)

    To support 16-bit Unicode, add powers of two to the bit weights up to 32768.

    To put a separator between digits for each character put it between
    first set of empty quote chars. ',' -> '00000000,11111111'

    To put a separator between digits of the same character, put it between
    the second set of empty quotes. '.' -> '0.1.0.1.0.1.0.1'

    This is probably slower than one based on lookup tables like the others
    are proposing.

    --
    Jesse Hager
    email = "".decode("rot13")
     
    Jesse Hager, Apr 16, 2006
    #14
  15. On 2006-04-16, John Machin <> wrote:
    > On 16/04/2006 5:25 AM, HNT20 wrote:
    >>
    >> hi --> 0110100001101001
    >>

    >
    > This implies that the bits in a byte are transmitted MSB first. I
    > haven't done anything anywhere near this area since about the time that
    > acoustic couplers went the way of buggy whips, but my vague recollection
    > is LSB first.


    It depends. "Normal" UARTs send LSB first. Some other types of
    serial links are MSB first.

    --
    Grant Edwards
     
    Grant Edwards, Apr 16, 2006
    #15
  16. HNT20

    blairg23

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2009
    Messages:
    1
    converting a string to binary

    I don't know why this forum shows up in google as number 1, by now everyone should be using bin(). It's a built-in function of python that converts an integer to a binary. Usage: bin(ord(char))

    import binascii
     
    blairg23, Oct 8, 2009
    #16
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Lucas Cowald
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    21,862
    Steve C. Orr [MVP, MCSD]
    Oct 15, 2003
  2. nick
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    935
  3. nick
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    32,080
    Eric Sosman
    Oct 26, 2004
  4. Hans-Peter Jansen

    convert ascii escapes into binary form

    Hans-Peter Jansen, Jul 20, 2005, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    637
    Hans-Peter Jansen
    Jul 20, 2005
  5. Harlin Seritt
    Replies:
    29
    Views:
    1,214
    Paul Rubin
    Feb 24, 2007
Loading...

Share This Page