How to convert image formats?

aks1232001

Hello Everyone,

I'm new to this place. Have a few doubts hoping to get some response
soon :)

1. How can i convert a color BMP file into a monochrome black and white
image (NOT GRAYSCALE) in C ???

2. Are there any routines available which can display images in my C
application?? I know CImg might help but it uses C++ :(

3. Also how can i call a program say for eg. notepad.exe from my
program?? i.e in my code how do i execute the program notepad.exe

I agree i have asked quite some doubts :p
but i am a newbie and I am working on my University project which need
me to do all these stuff. Having some problems with the above :)

I wud b very grateful if someone cud post a lil bit of sample code too
:p

Thank You!
Have fun!

Richard Bos

aks1232001 said:
1. How can i convert a color BMP file into a monochrome black and white
image (NOT GRAYSCALE) in C ???

a. You find the BMP file format on <http://www.wotsit.org/>.
b. You design an algorithm to convert colour information reliably into
black-and-white (NOT GRAYSCALE) information. This is probably going
to be the trickiest part of the job, by a considerable margin. It is
also not a C problem, but an algorithm problem.
c. You implement this algorithm in C.

The good news is: this is all possible in pure ISO C (all it does is
manipulate binary files), so once you _do_ have your file specs and
conversion algorithm and have made a serious attempt at doing your own
homework, any snags you encounter would quite possibly be on-topic in
comp.lang.c.
2. Are there any routines available which can display images in my C
application??

Undoubtedly, but they're all system-specific, and therefore off-topic
here. Even on a single OS it would depend on how and where you'd want to
display it. Ask in a newsgroup that discusses your particular compiler/
OS/graphhics lib.
3. Also how can i call a program say for eg. notepad.exe from my
program?? i.e in my code how do i execute the program notepad.exe
system("notepad.exe");

I agree i have asked quite some doubts :p

No, you haven't. You've asked some questions.
I wud b very grateful if someone cud post a lil bit of sample code too

So would I; but it's _your_ homework, so it's going to have to be you
who posts it.

It would also be a good idea if you
- wrote proper English, without schoolboy abbreviations such as "cud";
- got a dictionary ("doubt" does not mean what you think it does), and
while you're at it, educate your peers; this error is all too common;
- read the FAQ and Welcome message _before_ posting to a newsgroup, as
common (or these days, alas, all too uncommon) netiquette requires.

Richard

aks1232001

Thanx Richard!

I have taken note the things You suggested :)

I did do my homework a bit: heres the code i wrote and the error im
getting while using the bloodshed dev c++ compiler on windows XP

code::
#include <dos.h>
#include<stdio.h>
#include<conio.h>

int main()
{
clrscr();
printf("Hello!\nLets Hope the Program Executes :)");
getch();
system("C:\\notepad.exe");
getch();
return(0);

}
Error: system undeclared (first use this fuction)

when i declared the function system as const char* (as suggested by the
compiler) the program executed but the file notepad.exe did open :(

I did copy notepad.Exe to the C:\ directory also i tried various other
possibilities like

system("notepad.exe");
system("C:\notepad.exe");

but nothing is working

The same is the case in the Turbo C 3.0 compiler :(

aks1232001

oopsie..It is working now.. No probs.. Thanks for the Help :)

Edit: i started a new project in Dev C++ -> Windows Console Project->
in C language..

then wrote this code and it worked :)

Thanx for the help

by the way I am trying to use netpbm to slove the problem with image
(found out abt it by digging through the archieves of this group :p)

stathis gotsis

aks1232001 said:
Thanx Richard!

I have taken note the things You suggested :)

I did do my homework a bit: heres the code i wrote and the error im
getting while using the bloodshed dev c++ compiler on windows XP

code::
#include <dos.h>
#include<stdio.h>
#include<conio.h>

int main()
{
clrscr();
printf("Hello!\nLets Hope the Program Executes :)");
getch();
system("C:\\notepad.exe");
getch();
return(0);

}
Error: system undeclared (first use this fuction)

You should always quote context in your replies or you will be shouted at in
this group. Your program is far too complicated and contains many
non-standard features. Try the following which is still implementation
specific:

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>

int main(void)
{
printf("Trying to open notepad.exe\n");
system("notepad.exe");
return 0;

SM Ryan

# Hello Everyone,
#
# I'm new to this place. Have a few doubts hoping to get some response
# soon :)
#
# 1. How can i convert a color BMP file into a monochrome black and white
# image (NOT GRAYSCALE) in C ???

Image processing tends to vary widely on different systems. Some
like MacOSX have a lot of processing builtin; others like Linux
have downloadable libraries like image magick.

# 2. Are there any routines available which can display images in my C
# application?? I know CImg might help but it uses C++ :(

Depends on your system. X-Windows, Aqua, and presumably Windows
have incompatiable methods. Scripting languages like Tcl/Tk can
can do this with more platform independence than C.