How to create a web application on SBS2003 server ?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Security' started by Tony Girgenti, Nov 20, 2006.

  1. Hello.

    I'm trying to do create a VB ASP.NET web application on a SBS2003 server
    with IIS6.0, .NET Framework 1.1.4322, ASP.NET 1.1.4322 using Visual
    Studio.NET 2003 on an XP Pro, SP2 machine.

    When i attempt this, i get this "Web Access Failed" message:
    The default web access mode for this project is set to file share, but the
    project folder at http://lakeside/TestLakeside cannot be opened with the
    path \\lakeside\wwwroot$\TestLakeside. The error returned was:

    Unable to create Web project 'TestLakeside'. The file path
    '\\lakeside\wwwroot$\TestLakeside' does not correspond to the URL
    'http://lakeside/TestLakeside'. The two need to map to the same server
    location. HTTP Error 404: Not Found

    I know this can be done because of this and numerous other articles from
    Microsoft that indicate the same thing:
    Configuring the Server Computer
    If you are developing on one computer with Visual Studio .NET 2003 and want
    to deploy your Web applications to a remote Web server computer, you must
    configure the server computer properly. Doing so requires installation of
    some Visual Studio .NET 2003 components on the Web server computer.

    Note If you are using your development computer as the Web server, you
    do not need to follow this procedure; installing Visual Studio .NET 2003 on
    your computer configures it properly.
    To configure a separate Web server computer for Visual Studio .NET 2003

    1.. Run Visual Studio .NET 2003 setup on the Web server computer and
    perform Step 1 to install the Visual Studio .NET 2003 Prerequisites.
    This installs the .NET Framework on the server computer. When this step is
    complete, the setup process returns to Step 2 of the Visual Studio .NET 2003
    installation.

    2.. Start Step 2 of the setup process. In the left pane of the setup
    window are a number of options for the installation. You should:
    1.. Clear the selection of all options except Server Components.
    2.. Expand the Server Components node and select Web Development and
    Remote Debugger.
    3.. Then click Install Now to proceed with installation.
    3.. Verify that FrontPageĀ® Server Extensions are configured. For details,
    see Setup\WebServer.htm on Visual Studio .NET 2003 CD1.
    4.. Add users who will be creating Web projects to the VS Developers
    group.
    I tried the suggestions from these web sites:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/d...us/vbcon/html/vxurfwebaccessfailuredialog.asp

    http://www.iisfaq.com/?View=A538

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/329473

    http://geekswithblogs.net/timh/archive/2005/09/08/53132.aspx

    and many more.

    Any help that anybody can provide to resolve this problem would be
    gratefully appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Tony

    Tony Girgenti, Nov 20, 2006

  2. Tony Girgenti

    Ken Schaefer Guest

    Instead of authoring your application directly on the SBS Server, why don't
    you do all your development locally on your Windows XP Pro machine. Then
    simply deploy the application (via xcopy) once it's ready for use?

    Cheers
    Ken

    Ken Schaefer, Nov 21, 2006

  3. Hello Ken.

    Thanks for your reply.

    I guess i should have said in my post that i know i can do it locally, i've
    been doing that for a few months.

    Remote web site is exactly what i want to do.

    Thanks,
    Tony

    Tony Girgenti, Nov 21, 2006