How to display data on web page in ascending order

Guest

Hi,

I have an asp.net script that connects to MS Access database and displays
data in a table. For some reason I am do not know how to display data say in
ascending order of column1.

I have pasted below the script that I am using. I will appreciate if someone
can give me a clue as how to sort data in ascending or descending order when
displaying on the page.

Thanks,

Joe

<%@ page language="VB" debug="true" %>
<%@ Import Column1space="System.Data" %>
<%@ Import Column1space="System.Data.OleDb" %>
<script language="VB" runat="server">
sub Page_Load(sender as Object, e as EventArgs)

Dim connString as String
Dim pathStr As String

pathStr = Left(Request.PhysicalApplicationPath, 10)
connString = "PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" _
& "DATA SOURCE=" & pathStr & "\databases\somedatabase.mdb"

Dim objConnection as OleDbConnection
objConnection = New OleDbConnection(connString)
objConnection.Open()

Dim strSQL as String = "SELECT column1, column2 FROM sometable"

Dim objCommand as OleDbCommand
objCommand = New OleDbCommand(strSQL, objConnection)

Dim objDataReader as OleDbDataReader
objDataReader = objCommand.ExecuteReader(CommandBehavior.CloseConnection)

'Set the table width.
DisplayTable.Width = Unit.Percentage(100.0)
'Create a new row for adding a table heading
Dim tableHeading As TableRow = New TableRow()

'Create and add the cells that contain the Customer ID column heading
text.
Dim Column1IDHeading As TableHeaderCell = New TableHeaderCell()
column1IDHeading.Text = "Column1"
column1IDHeading.backcolor =
System.Drawing.Color.FromColumn1(CType("#CCCCCC", String))
column1IDHeading.HorizontalAlign = HorizontalAlign.Center
column1IDHeading.CssClass = "subsubTitle"
tableHeading.Cells.Add(column1IDHeading)

'Create and add the cells that contain the Contact Column1 column
heading text.
Dim companyHeading As TableHeaderCell = New TableHeaderCell()
column2Heading.Text = “column2"
column2Heading.backcolor =
System.Drawing.Color.FromColumn2(CType("#CCCCCC", String))
column2Heading.HorizontalAlign = HorizontalAlign.Center
column2Heading.CssClass = "subsubTitle"
tableHeading.Cells.Add(column2Heading)

DisplayTable.Rows.Add(tableHeading)

'Loop through the resultant data selection and add the data value
'for each respective column in the table.
While(objDataReader.Read())

Dim detailsRow As TableRow = New TableRow()
Dim column1Cell As TableCell = New TableCell()
column1Cell.Text = objDataReader("column1").ToString()
column1Cell.CssClass = "bodyText"
detailsRow.Cells.Add(column1Cell)

Dim companyCell As TableCell = New TableCell()
companyCell.Text = objDataReader("company").ToString()
companyCell.CssClass = "bodyText"
detailsRow.Cells.Add(companyCell)

'Add the new row to the table.
DisplayTable.Rows.Add(detailsRow)

End While

objDataReader.Close()
objConnection.Close()

end sub

</script>
<head>
<title>Untitled Document</title>
<link href="../styles/basic_cross_plat.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css">
</head>
<a column1="top"></a>
<asp:Table id="DisplayTable" border="1" cellpadding="2" cellspacing="1"
runat="server"></asp:Table>

Guest

SELECT column1, column2 FROm table ORDER BY column1 DESC

Or ASC at end depending on direction you want :)