    sliding photo and photo-shade effect. I'd appreciate any help anyone
    can give me. Thanks!
    , Jun 5, 2006

  2. Randy Webb Guest

    said the following on 6/4/2006 9:03 PM:
    > I am very new to javascript. Basically I could use some guidance on
    > how to replicate what Scott Schiller does with the animation on his
    > website (http://www.schillmania.com). I want my website to do the
    > sliding photo and photo-shade effect. I'd appreciate any help anyone
    > can give me. Thanks!

    Right click> View source.

    --
    Randy
    Randy Webb, Jun 5, 2006

    Maybe I should calrify: I'm new to JAVASCRIPT. I've been coding CSS
    and HTML for years, however javascript has been mostly cut-and-paste
    for me.

    Thank you for your suggestion, however I have already been studying the
    code for weeks. Any REAL help would be appreciated. Thank you.

    -Tim

    Randy Webb wrote:
    > said the following on 6/4/2006 9:03 PM:
    > > I am very new to javascript. Basically I could use some guidance on
    > > how to replicate what Scott Schiller does with the animation on his
    > > website (http://www.schillmania.com). I want my website to do the
    > > sliding photo and photo-shade effect. I'd appreciate any help anyone
    > > can give me. Thanks!
    > >

    > Right click> View source.
    >
    > --
    > Randy
    , Jun 5, 2006

    wrote:
    > Maybe I should calrify: I'm new to JAVASCRIPT. I've been coding CSS
    > and HTML for years, however javascript has been mostly cut-and-paste
    > for me.
    >
    > Thank you for your suggestion, however I have already been studying the
    > code for weeks. Any REAL help would be appreciated. Thank you.

    I think Randy's comment was pointing out that there is no simple answer
    and that is a lot to ask for here. If you have been programming valid
    HTML and CSS for years you are in a good position to start learning
    about JavaScript. Buy JavaScript: The Definitive Guide by David
    Flanagan from O'Reilly and start learning the basics. Learning
    JavaScript is a big task. It is a bit of strange language if you are
    used to C++, Java or Ruby class-based inheritance.

    Someone might suggest you use www.script.aculo.us to achieve your goal.
    This library depends on Prototype.js which would be very confusing for
    you to learn if you don't know Ruby. It is also considered a bad choice
    here.

    http://www.javascripttoolbox.com/bestpractices/new.php#prototype

    I'd recommend that _after_ reading the Flanagan book you check out the
    Yahoo! UI animation library

    http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/animation/

    I haven't used it but other parts of the Yahoo! UI library are good.

    Also for after reading the book, the best link I have found about
    JavaScript is

    http://kevlindev.com/tutorials/javascript/inheritance/index.htm

    Good luck,
    Peter
    , Jun 5, 2006

    Thanks Peter,

    All I want to do is replicate the motion of the initial photo (it
    slides north on the page) and the animation of the shade (when the
    toggle is clicked it slides down to reveal the entire photo. Certainly
    someone can help me.

    In the meantime I'll take a look at the Yahoo! UI and the tutorial.
    Thanks a lot for the suggestions.

    -Tim
    wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Maybe I should calrify: I'm new to JAVASCRIPT. I've been coding CSS
    > > and HTML for years, however javascript has been mostly cut-and-paste
    > > for me.
    > >
    > > Thank you for your suggestion, however I have already been studying the
    > > code for weeks. Any REAL help would be appreciated. Thank you.

    > I think Randy's comment was pointing out that there is no simple answer
    > and that is a lot to ask for here. If you have been programming valid
    > HTML and CSS for years you are in a good position to start learning
    > about JavaScript. Buy JavaScript: The Definitive Guide by David
    > Flanagan from O'Reilly and start learning the basics. Learning
    > JavaScript is a big task. It is a bit of strange language if you are
    > used to C++, Java or Ruby class-based inheritance.
    >
    > Someone might suggest you use www.script.aculo.us to achieve your goal.
    > This library depends on Prototype.js which would be very confusing for
    > you to learn if you don't know Ruby. It is also considered a bad choice
    > here.
    >
    > http://www.javascripttoolbox.com/bestpractices/new.php#prototype
    >
    > I'd recommend that _after_ reading the Flanagan book you check out the
    > Yahoo! UI animation library
    >
    > http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/animation/
    >
    > I haven't used it but other parts of the Yahoo! UI library are good.
    >
    > Also for after reading the book, the best link I have found about
    > JavaScript is
    >
    > http://kevlindev.com/tutorials/javascript/inheritance/index.htm
    >
    > Good luck,
    > Peter
    , Jun 6, 2006

    wrote:

    > All I want to do is replicate the motion of the initial photo (it
    > slides north on the page) and the animation of the shade (when the
    > toggle is clicked it slides down to reveal the entire photo. Certainly
    > someone can help me.

    I doubt someone is going to write code for you. You'll have to try
    first.

    > In the meantime I'll take a look at the Yahoo! UI and the tutorial.

    The Yahoo! UI libray will not make what you want happen in one line of
    code. You'll have to dig in and learn some JavaScript. After you have
    tried to code it yourself and then if you have questions about the
    Yahoo! UI library the best place to ask is that mailing list

    http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/#support

    Good luck

    Peter
    , Jun 6, 2006