How to emulate IE5?

John C

On my PC I have Moz 1.4, Firebird, IE6, and NS4 available to test pages.
I don't have IE5. I'm trying to write 4.01 strict with CSS, and I'm
missing some of the wonderful IE5 effects despite looking good in IE6 and
Moz. I don't have enough HD to partition for an IE5 install.

If I just change the doctype to <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML
4.01 Transitional//EN"> to put IE6 in quirks mode, will the result be
close enough to what I'd see in IE5 in order to apply the necessary
tweaks and hacks?

Or should I dig the old 386 out of the garage and see if it'll still
light up? Or, commit all the box model stuff to memory? Or, any other
suggestions? I know there's a website with lynx emulator, but I haven't
seen one for IE5.

Toby A Inkster

John said:
If I just change the doctype to <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML
4.01 Transitional//EN"> to put IE6 in quirks mode, will the result be
close enough to what I'd see in IE5 in order to apply the necessary
tweaks and hacks?

Mainly close enough for testing while you're still constructing the site,
but get a friend who has IE5 to check it over before "going live".
http://bochs.sourceforge.net/

I know there's a website with lynx emulator, but I
haven't seen one for IE5.

Download the real thing. Much more realistic for testing.
http://lynx.browser.org/