how to execute .hta from IE ?

Anupama.sh

Hi!

I need to read a registry entry(path of a file) from a .htm file. On
doing so it gives an alert "ActiveX maybe harmful..". To avoid this, I
wanted to try a hta file instead. All the files including the htm files
will be used locally & will have nothing to do with the internet.

I was hoping I could have the user just open an htm file, which
executes the hta ( this .hta will in return give the path read from the
registry).

Is there some way this could be done? Any help appreciated!

Thank you.

Randy Webb

(e-mail address removed) said the following on 7/10/2006 2:56 PM:
Hi!

I need to read a registry entry(path of a file) from a .htm file.

No can do in an Internet Environment.
On doing so it gives an alert "ActiveX maybe harmful..".

Yep, as it should.
To avoid this, I wanted to try a hta file instead.

So far so good.
All the files including the htm files will be used locally & will
have nothing to do with the internet.

First time that ActiveX warning comes up, you give it permission and all
is fine.
I was hoping I could have the user just open an htm file, which
executes the hta ( this .hta will in return give the path read from the
registry).

See above, then the .hta isn't needed.

Kevin Darling

I need to read a registry entry(path of a file) from a .htm file. On
doing so it gives an alert "ActiveX maybe harmful..". To avoid this, I
wanted to try a hta file instead. All the files including the htm files
will be used locally & will have nothing to do with the internet.

Have you tried simply renaming that .htm file to .hta ? A lot of
times, that's all you need to do.

Then you don't have to worry about trying to access .hta info from a
..htm file, which I'm not sure is possible these days anyway. (I just
went through this entire .hta ordeal a few months ago, but have had
major surgery since then and my memory isn't so good ;-)

Cheers, Kev

Anupama.sh

Thanks Kevin!

the problem is, I have to make a chm file ( which needs some data, for
which i need to read the registry).

I couldn't find a way to include .hta in a chm file. Any idea??