how to figure out if python was used as a cgi script

ce

hi,

is there a way to figure out which scripting language was used in a
cgi. I used to watch extensions (i.e. py, pl, asp or php) nowadays i
hardly see any extensions and really it is hard to find out anything
from the generated HTML or even the HTML being sent out through the
FORM tag .. is there another way to find out which scripting language
was used in website!!!

ce

Diez B. Roggisch

ce said:
hi,

is there a way to figure out which scripting language was used in a
cgi. I used to watch extensions (i.e. py, pl, asp or php) nowadays i
hardly see any extensions and really it is hard to find out anything
from the generated HTML or even the HTML being sent out through the
FORM tag .. is there another way to find out which scripting language
was used in website!!!

No.

Diez

Laszlo Nagy

ce said:
hi,

is there a way to figure out which scripting language was used in a
cgi. I used to watch extensions (i.e. py, pl, asp or php) nowadays i
hardly see any extensions and really it is hard to find out anything
from the generated HTML or even the HTML being sent out through the
FORM tag .. is there another way to find out which scripting language
was used in website!!!
You can of course examine the HTTP headers but for example, one can
easily hide this information:

ServerSignature Off
ServerTokens Prod

Production sites usually do this because it is easier to attack the site if you know the platform, used extensions etc.

The best thing you can do is to call the maintainer of the site and ask. :)

Regards,

Laszlo

Bjoern Schliessmann

ce said:
is there a way to figure out which scripting language was used in
a cgi. I used to watch extensions (i.e. py, pl, asp or php)

I'd say that ASP and PHP are rather rarely used for CGI scripts.
Also, extensions are essentially meaningless.
nowadays i hardly see any extensions and really it is hard to find
out anything from the generated HTML or even the HTML being sent
out through the FORM tag .. is there another way to find out which
scripting language was used in website!!!

Since this is a Python NG I suspect you have something you'd like to
achieve using Python regarding this topic. What is it?

?

Regards,

Björn