how to fill the string to length = 256

Guest

Now, I am using below code, how to fill the string to length = 256 or more ?
inputLine = inputLine.substring(0,inputLine.length()) +
" " +
" " +
" "

/* decode 23.18.14

javac decode_mrp.java

*/
import java.io.*;

public class decode_mrp {
String inputLine , outputLine;
String item,site;
BufferedReader in
= new BufferedReader(new FileReader(args[0]));

while ((inputLine = in.readLine()) != null) {

inputLine = inputLine.substring(0,inputLine.length()) +
" " +
" " +
" "
;
// System.out.println(inputLine.substring(2,14) + "<");
if (inputLine.substring(2,14).equals("Item Number:")) {
item = inputLine.substring(15,29);
site = inputLine.substring(121,129 );
System.out.println(item + " " + site);

Roedy Green

Now, I am using below code, how to fill the string to length = 256 or more ?
inputLine = inputLine.substring(0,inputLine.length()) +
" " +
" " +
"

/**
* Pads the string out to the given length by applying blanks on
the left.
*
* @param s
* String to be padded/chopped.
* @param newLen
* length of new String desired.
* @param chop
* true if Strings longer than newLen should be truncated
to newLen
* chars.
* @return String padded on left/chopped to the desired length.
*/
public final static String leftPad ( String s, int newLen, boolean
chop )
{
int grow = newLen - s.length();
if ( grow <= 0 )
{
if ( chop )
{
return s.substring( 0, newLen );
}
else
{
return s;
else if ( grow <= 30 )
{
return " ".substring( 0, grow
) + s;
}
else
{
return rep( ' ', grow ) + s;
}
} // end leftPad

/**
* Produce a String of a given repeating character.
*
* @param c
* the character to repeat
* @param count
* the number of times to repeat
* @return String, e.g. rep('*',4) returns "****"
*/
public final static String rep ( char c, int count )
{
char[] s = new char[ count ];
for ( int i = 0; i < count; i++ )
{
s[ i ] = c;
}
return new String( s ).intern();
} // end rep

Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

Guest

Thank. It works

public final class test_string {
String s = new String("eric");
s = s + rep(' ',10) + "<";
System.out.println(s);
}

public static String rep(char c, int count) {
char[] s = new char[count];
for (int i = 0; i< count ; i++) {
s = c;
}