How to find info about python 3.x extension module availability?

Francesco Bochicchio

Hi all,

is there any site that reports the current porting (to Python 3.x)
status of the main non-standard extension modules (such as pygtk,
pywin32, wxpython, ...) ?
I think such information would be very useful for people - like me -
which are tryiing to decide how/when/if to port existing scripts/
applications to the new python, or also which python to use to start
a new program.

I searched and googled for this information but without finding
anything. It looks to me that also the single extension module sites
are quite shy at announcing plans for the porting (I understand that
in part this is for the "is ready when is ready" philosophy of many
non-large open software projects).

Ciao

Francesco Bochicchio

Hi all,

is there any site that reports the current porting (to Python 3.x)
status of the main non-standard extension modules (such as pygtk,
pywin32, wxpython, ...) ?
I think such information would be very useful for people - like me -
which are tryiing to decide how/when/if to port existing scripts/
applications to the new python, or also  which python to use to start
a new program.

I searched and googled for this information  but without finding
anything. It looks to me that also the single extension module sites
are quite shy at announcing plans for the porting (I understand that
in part this is for the "is ready when is ready" philosophy of many
non-large open software projects).

Ciao

Well, I kept searching and found this at least :

http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread165340.html

It lists Qt , BeautfulSoup (with problems) and pywin32 (which I use a
lot :)
Another (less famous) module that I use, ply, also supports python3.x

Maybe in the near future I can start porting some of my scripts ...

Still believe that a central point to keep track of most of extension
porting effort would be very useful ...

Ciao

Jeff McNeil

Hi all,

is there any site that reports the current porting (to Python 3.x)
status of the main non-standard extension modules (such as pygtk,
pywin32, wxpython, ...) ?
I think such information would be very useful for people - like me -
which are tryiing to decide how/when/if to port existing scripts/
applications to the new python, or also  which python to use to start
a new program.

I searched and googled for this information  but without finding
anything. It looks to me that also the single extension module sites
are quite shy at announcing plans for the porting (I understand that
in part this is for the "is ready when is ready" philosophy of many
non-large open software projects).

Ciao

You can pull a list of what works with 3.0 via PyPi, there's a link
which points you to http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=browse&c=533&show=all.
If the package isn't listed on PyPi, I believe you'll have to check
out the vendor/distribution site.

I posted something like this on my blog a few months back. Finding
what's available isn't too terribly difficult. I thought it would be
nice to have a port status page that lets the community know where
certain package stand so volunteers can step in and help. I guess it
would be rather difficult to keep such a page updated, though.

Francesco Bochicchio

You can pull a list of what works with 3.0 via PyPi, there's a link
which points you tohttp://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=browse&c=533&show=all.
If the package isn't listed on PyPi, I believe you'll have to check
out the vendor/distribution site.

I posted something like this on my blog a few months back.  Finding
what's available isn't too terribly difficult. I thought it would be
nice to have a port status page that lets the community know where
certain package stand so volunteers can step in and help. I guess it
would be rather difficult to keep such a page updated, though

- Mostra testo citato -

Thanks.

I thought of pypy, and even tried to search for Python 3 using its
search button, but somehow missed the
handy "python 3" link on the sidebar :-0

I agree that keeping a complete list would be very difficult, although
useful ...

Ciao

Aahz

is there any site that reports the current porting (to Python 3.x)
status of the main non-standard extension modules (such as pygtk,
pywin32, wxpython, ...) ?

Feel free to create a wiki page on python.org...