How to find the source of a Xerces error (FWK)

Discussion in 'XML' started by Raphael Tagliani, Sep 9, 2006.

  1. (english version below)
    Bonjour!

    Je travaille sur un gros projet java, qui parse beaucoup de fichiers xml
    au lancement d'un serveur.
    Nous avons un problème de concurrence qu lancement.

    En fait, il s'agit d'une erreur Xerces FWK005, et nous sommes incapables
    de trouver d'où elle provient dans le code. Nous avons déjà essayé de
    rendre toutes les méthodes qui appellent Xerces synchronized, mais celà
    n'a rien changé.

    Donc ma question: sauriez-vous comment traquer cette erreur? Existe-t'il
    un moyen de trouver quelles sont les méthodes qui appellent xerces de
    façon concurrente (un debugger qui écouterait les appels à xerces, p.ex)?

    L'erreur:

    Caused by: org.xml.sax.SAXException: FWK005 parse may not be called
    while parsing.
    at
    com.sun.org.apache.xerces.internal.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.parse(Unknown
    Source)

    http://acroyear.blog-city.com/xerces_and_the_dreaded_fwk005.htm

    ----
    Hi everyone!

    I'm on a big java project, which parses a lot of xml files at the launch
    of a server.
    The problem is, we have a concurrency problem at the launch.

    In fact, it's a FWK005 Xerces error, and we can't find out from where it
    comes from. We already tried to make every method calling Xerces
    'synchronized', but no change!

    Here is my question: would you know how to find this error? How to know
    which method calls xerces in a concurrent way (maybe a debugger which
    would listen the calls to xerces)?

    The error:

    Raphael Tagliani, Sep 9, 2006

  2. Since your question is specifically about Xerces, I would strongly
    recommend that you ask on the Xerces mailing list over at Apache. That's
    the subgroup of our community most likely to know the details of Xerces'
    internal error messages.

    One thought: You ask
    How to know which method calls xerces in a concurrent way
    .... Calling printStackTrace() on that SAXException should tell you what
    was running at the time the problem was detected. Other than that...
    yes, I'd fire it up under a debugger and let the code itself help me
    figure out what's going on.

    Joe Kesselman, Sep 9, 2006

  3. Joe Kesselman a écrit :
    > Since your question is specifically about Xerces, I would strongly
    > recommend that you ask on the Xerces mailing list over at Apache. That's
    > the subgroup of our community most likely to know the details of Xerces'
    > internal error messages.
    >
    > One thought: You ask
    > How to know which method calls xerces in a concurrent way
    > ... Calling printStackTrace() on that SAXException should tell you what
    > was running at the time the problem was detected. Other than that...
    > yes, I'd fire it up under a debugger and let the code itself help me
    > figure out what's going on.

    Hem... Quite interesting isn't it?
    http://mrl.nyu.edu/~perlin/experiments/poetry/

    I never heard about it before.
    http://www.poetess77.com/blog/2004/10/search-to-understand-kinetic-poetry.html

    Do you refer to the first or the second meaning?
    Raphael Tagliani, Sep 11, 2006
  4. Raphael Tagliani wrote:
    > Do you refer to the first or the second meaning [of kinetic poetry]

    Neither of the above; my (implied) observation is that the best
    programming can be to poetry as kinetic sculpture is to stabiles: ideas
    in dynamic interaction, as compared to ideas in a single fixed
    structure. (Of course, like any artistic domain, there's a lot of crud
    out there too.)

    Joe Kesselman, Sep 11, 2006