How to find wxPython method documentation??

len

Hi

I am going through the "wxPython in Action" book by Noel Rappin and
Robin Dunn.

I have been typing in the example programs as I go and play with
modifing the code.
Thought I should start trying to find my way around the documentation
found on the wxPython web site.

The problem I have been having is I can't find the methods or more
specifically

'SetBackgroundColour' or 'AddSimpleTool' for example.

How does one find the methods that are available in the classes.

I tried looking at the wxWidgets web site and still had the same
problem.

Could someone give me a little direction in this?

Thanks
Len

andrew cooke

How does one find the methods that are available in the classes.

heh. welcome to the wonderful world of wxpython :eek:(

if you use eclipse to edit your code, then (providing the wind is in
the right direction and the file you are editing doesn't have any
syntax errors) pressing F3 when you are on a particular method will
take you to the definition. or, at least, one of the definitions with
that name.

and if you want to see a list of available methods the simplest way is
to use tab completion (or dir() in python itself).

if you're not using eclipse (with pydev) check to see if the ide/
editor you are using has something similar.

also, wxpython comes with some examples, all packaged in a demo
program. that is your best source of documentation. go through all
the examples in there and look at the code (the demo program will show
you the code and even let you edit it and see the results of your
changes).

to be honest, wxpython is a bit of a nightmare (imho). but the results
can be worth it.

good luck,
andrew

Egon Frerich

Mike Driscoll

[...]

I don't think the docs are any worse than any other complicated third
party package. Reportlab comes to mind...and the wxPython list members
are very helpful.

Mike

Mike Driscoll

Hi

I am going through the "wxPython in Action" book by Noel Rappin and
Robin Dunn.

I have been typing in the example programs as I go and play with
modifing the code.
Thought I should start trying to find my way around the documentation
found on the wxPython web site.

The problem I have been having is I can't find the methods or more
specifically

'SetBackgroundColour' or 'AddSimpleTool' for example.

How does one find the methods that are available in the classes.

I tried looking at the wxWidgets web site and still had the same
problem.

Could someone give me a little direction in this?

Thanks
Len

In addition to what the others have said, there's also an alternate
doc location done up by one guy who seems to have a lot of free time:

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/infinity77/wxPython/index.html

The wiki is also helpful:

http://wiki.wxpython.org/

But I concur that the mailing list is definitely THE place to be to
learn the most once you've gotten comfortable with the toolkit.

Mike