How to generate an MD5 data from the string

Peter Afonin

Hello,

I've never been dealing with the security before. Could you please help me
to write a code to generate an MD5 data from a string? I've been using this
example from MSDN:

Function MD5hash(data() As Byte) As Byte()
' This is one implementation of the abstract class MD5.
Dim md5 As New MD5CryptoServiceProvider()

Dim result As Byte() = md5.ComputeHash(data)

Return result
End Function

but perhaps made a mistake converting string to byte and couldn't fix it.

My string looks like this:

sCRC = "avp:" & dblSum.ToString & ":" & CLng(Format(Now, "yyyyMMddHHmmss"))
_
& ":pa0107THOP:shp_UserID=" & sUser _
& ":shp_Price=" & dblPrice.ToString & ":shp_PaymentNo=" _
& CLng(Format(Now, "yyyyMMddHHmmss")) & ":shp_Term=" _
& sTerm & ":shp_Email=" & sEmail

I will be passing this parameter as a querystring.

I would really appreciate your help.

Thank you,

PL

The absolute simplest way is to use:

string md5= System.Web.Security.FormsAuthentication.HashPasswordForStoringInConfigFile( str,"MD5");

where str is your string you want to computer the hash from and the last argument can
be "MD5" or "SHA1"

For more info look this up in the docs.

PL.