    Thanks
    Boneless
    www.boneless.nl

    boneless, Sep 11, 2004

  2. boneless <> wrote:

    > when I put a character like é or á or ö on my website, it shows up
    > all crappy.

    Do you expect us to help without seeing a URL of a demonstration of the
    problem?

    > I think this may have something to do with the charset,

    It may, or it may not.

    > Problem started when I switched from blogger to B2 (which uses php).

    Means nothing to me. Or to a browser - what matters is what it produces.

    > I've tried adding the line
    > charset=ISO-8859-1"> but that don''t do the trick.

    Well, to begin with, if the server actually sends a Content-Type header
    with a charset parameter, then the browser must (by specification) ignore
    and actually ignores (by existing implementations) that <meta> tag.

    Do you see now why a URL is needed?

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 11, 2004

  3. "boneless" <> skrev i melding
    > Hi all,
    >
    > when I put a character like é or á or ö on my website, it shows up all
    > crappy. I think this may have something to do with the charset, but can
    > anyone tell me what to do to change this? I mean what to do, so the site
    > shows a ë really as ë.
    >
    > Problem started when I switched from blogger to B2 (which uses php).
    > I've tried adding the line
    > but that don''t do the trick.
    >
    > Anyone know of any solution?

    You might be better off using entities.
    http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_entitiesref.asp

    é = &eacute;
    á = &aacute;
    ö = &ouml;
    ë = &euml;

    Just to pick the ones you mentioned in your original post.

    --
    Kim André Akerø
    -

    Kim André Akerø, Sep 11, 2004
  4. boneless

    boneless Guest

    "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in

    > boneless <> wrote:
    >
    >> when I put a character like é or á or ö on my website, it shows up
    >> all crappy.

    > Do you see now why a URL is needed?

    Excuses and even more excuses!
    The url is www.boneless.nl
    the real index-file is found at www.boneless.nl/blog/index.php

    Anything else needed?

    Thanks, Boneless

    boneless, Sep 11, 2004
  5. boneless

    WebcastMaker Guest

    In article <Xns95617C062E188boneless@213.73.255.21>,
    says...

    > >> when I put a character like é or á or ö on my website, it shows up
    > >> all crappy.

    > > Do you see now why a URL is needed?

    > Excuses and even more excuses!
    > The url is www.boneless.nl
    > the real index-file is found at www.boneless.nl/blog/index.php
    > Anything else needed?

    Well a little better attitude from the person requesting help might be
    nice...
    --
    WebcastMaker
    Webcasting for free

    WebcastMaker, Sep 11, 2004
  6. boneless

    Neal Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 12:11:29 +0200, boneless <>
    wrote:

    > "Jukka K. Korpela" <> wrote in
    >
    >> boneless <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> when I put a character like é or á or ö on my website, it shows up
    >>> all crappy.

    >> Do you see now why a URL is needed?

    > Excuses and even more excuses!
    > The url is www.boneless.nl
    > the real index-file is found at www.boneless.nl/blog/index.php

    ê displays properly. I find no instances of "é or á or ö" on your
    page, either in source or page, nor as a direct character or an entity.

    See http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/sgml/entities , perhaps this helps.

    Neal, Sep 11, 2004
  7. Neal <> wrote:

    >> The url is www.boneless.nl
    >> the real index-file is found at www.boneless.nl/blog/index.php

    > ê displays properly. I find no instances of "é or á or ö" on your
    > page, either in source or page, nor as a direct character or an entity.

    Indeed. And the page is declared (both in HTTP headers and in a <meta>
    tag) as being in UTF-8 encoding, so my wild guess is that the OP tried to
    enter accented letters "just by typing them" - using a program that
    enters them in ISO 8859-1 (or windows-1252 or whatever) encoding. They
    won't work then of course (but character references and entity references
    work).

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Sep 11, 2004
  8. boneless

    Sid Ismail Guest

    :
    : Excuses and even more excuses!
    : The url is www.boneless.nl

    Excuses? What's this - your personal helpdesk? Paid for?

    Sid

    Sid Ismail, Sep 12, 2004
  9. In article <4142accd$1@proxy.>, Kim André Akerø
    () dropped a +5 bundle of words...

    > "boneless" <> skrev i melding
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > when I put a character like é or á or ö on my website, it shows up all
    > > crappy. I think this may have something to do with the charset, but can
    > > anyone tell me what to do to change this? I mean what to do, so the site
    > > shows a ë really as ë.
    > >
    > > Problem started when I switched from blogger to B2 (which uses php).
    > > I've tried adding the line
    > > but that don''t do the trick.
    > >
    > > Anyone know of any solution?

    > You might be better off using entities.
    > http://www.w3schools.com/html/html_entitiesref.asp
    >
    > é = &eacute;

    > á = &aacute;

    > ö = &ouml;

    > ë = &euml;

    &#203

    > Just to pick the ones you mentioned in your original post.

    Another way to code those characters.

    --
    Starshine Moonbeam
    mhm31x9 Smeeter#29 WSD#30

    Starshine Moonbeam, Sep 17, 2004
  10. On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 08:37:45 +0200, boneless wrote:

    > Hi all,
    >
    > when I put a character like é or á or ö on my website, it shows up all
    > crappy. I think this may have something to do with the charset, but can
    > anyone tell me what to do to change this? I mean what to do, so the site
    > shows a ë really as ë.

    How are these characters represented in the generated HTML? Are they
    literals? Does the HTML used named entities (&egrave;)? Or how about
    numeric entities (é)?

    You will likely get better mileage with entities, especially if the
    character literal is not defined in your page's charset.

    For my Hawaiian pages, I have to use UTF-8 for everything to show up
    properly.

    HTH,
    La'ie Techie

    =?UTF-8?b?TMSByrtpZSBUZWNoaWU=?=, Sep 22, 2004