How to get some C++ proficiency

Discussion in 'C++' started by Olli Plough, Jul 29, 2007.

  1. Olli Plough

    Olli Plough Guest

    Hi folks,

    I have been developing a bit with C++ earlier here and then, mostly at
    technical college and also for my bachelor's thesis. But I can't claim
    to have any professional experience, always took on Smalltalk and now
    Java jobs. I want to get a bit more into C++ in a way that it can be
    used for my CV as well to apply for a combined C++/Java job for
    example. Might be unrealistic, but if it ends up only to have been for
    the fun of it, it's also okay.

    Question is now what to do. Thought of taking some Microsoft C++
    developer exam. I'm not particularly fund of Microsoft, but that would
    be something I could do. Now I can't find on Microsoft's homepage any
    specific C++ exam, all the MCTS Self-Paced Training Kits are for VB or
    C# but not for C++.

    Anybody some ideas what I could do?

    Thanks, Oliver Plohmann

    Olli Plough, Jul 29, 2007

  2. Olli Plough wrote:
    > I have been developing a bit with C++ earlier here and then, mostly at
    > technical college and also for my bachelor's thesis. But I can't claim
    > to have any professional experience, always took on Smalltalk and now
    > Java jobs. I want to get a bit more into C++ in a way that it can be
    > used for my CV as well to apply for a combined C++/Java job for
    > example. Might be unrealistic, but if it ends up only to have been for
    > the fun of it, it's also okay.

    If you got spare time, why not learn something that is as much fun as
    C++, eh?

    > Question is now what to do. Thought of taking some Microsoft C++
    > developer exam. I'm not particularly fund of Microsoft, but that would
    > be something I could do. Now I can't find on Microsoft's homepage any
    > specific C++ exam, all the MCTS Self-Paced Training Kits are for VB or
    > C# but not for C++.
    >
    > Anybody some ideas what I could do?

    The simplest is to either get some C++ work at work, or join an open
    source project being developed in C++. The former depends on what you
    (and your colleagues) do. Often development groups need to be too
    agile to serve their customers, and without products besides their own
    services, they tend to use other [than C++] languages. Joining an open
    source project is simple, just go to www.sourceforge.net and pick one
    that is closer to what you know. Talk to existing developers and ask
    them to suggest the area of your participation (usually newcomers start
    by fixing some bugs, or so I heard).

    I am not aware of any Microsoft C++ certification, although I've been
    involved with programming MS Windows on and off for many years now.
    You could ask in 'microsoft.public.vc.language' newsgroup, but I've
    not seen it mentioned there yet, either.

    Victor Bazarov, Jul 29, 2007