    appreciate any pointers or suggestions.

    Thank you,

    Todd
    Todd Gardner, Dec 7, 2003

  2. Todd Gardner

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Todd Gardner wrote:

    > I would like to graph two columns of x,y numbers? I would greatly
    > appreciate any pointers or suggestions.

    Yes, include more detail about what you want to do. Specifically,
    what platform, do you care if it's wxPython, or Tkinter, or something
    else, etc. There are about a zillion possible answers to your
    question as it stands, and "python graphing" or something on Google
    would likely get you a lot of mileage right now. Maybe after you
    do a little research there you can come back with a more detailed
    question?

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Dec 8, 2003

  3. Todd Gardner

    Todd Gardner Guest

    Peter Hansen <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Todd Gardner wrote:
    > >
    > > I would like to graph two columns of x,y numbers? I would greatly
    > > appreciate any pointers or suggestions.

    > Yes, include more detail about what you want to do. Specifically,
    > what platform, do you care if it's wxPython, or Tkinter, or something
    > else, etc. There are about a zillion possible answers to your
    > question as it stands, and "python graphing" or something on Google
    > would likely get you a lot of mileage right now. Maybe after you
    > do a little research there you can come back with a more detailed
    > question?
    >
    > -Peter

    There are LOTS of plotting choices on google. I guess I would like to
    narrow them down by tapping into some expertise.

    I would like to do 2D and possibly 3D plotting with python. I am
    tending toward wxpython because of it's ease of use.

    Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Todd
    Todd Gardner, Dec 8, 2003
  4. [Todd]
    > I would like to do 2D and possibly 3D plotting with python. I am
    > tending toward wxpython because of it's ease of use.

    I'm in the same boat, so I'm also interested to hear people's opinions.

    My requirements are exactly the same as Todd's except that I'm also
    looking for high visual quality - antialiasing of both text and lines,
    partially-transparent bars and areas, that kind of thing. Something like
    an Anti-Grain (http://www.antigrain.com/) back end for matplotlib
    (http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/) that used freetype
    (http://www.freetype.org/) for font rendering and provided easy
    integration into wxPython (http://www.wxpython.org/). Not much to ask.
    :cool:

    --
    Richie Hindle
    Richie Hindle, Dec 8, 2003
  5. Todd Gardner

    Peter Hansen Guest

    Todd Gardner wrote:

    > Peter Hansen <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Todd Gardner wrote:
    > > >
    > > > I would like to graph two columns of x,y numbers? I would greatly
    > > > appreciate any pointers or suggestions.

    > > Yes, include more detail about what you want to do. Specifically,
    > > what platform, do you care if it's wxPython, or Tkinter, or something
    > > else, etc. There are about a zillion possible answers to your
    > > question as it stands, and "python graphing" or something on Google
    > > would likely get you a lot of mileage right now. Maybe after you
    > > do a little research there you can come back with a more detailed
    > > question?

    > There are LOTS of plotting choices on google. I guess I would like to
    > narrow them down by tapping into some expertise.
    >
    > I would like to do 2D and possibly 3D plotting with python. I am
    > tending toward wxpython because of it's ease of use.

    You still haven't really given any information about your goals. Is
    this program just for visualization of static data? Anything dynamic?
    Who's the audience? Do you need to do printing of the same output?
    How precisely does the printed version need to match the screen?
    Is this part of a program that you will be giving to others, or
    is it just for personal use? Do you have any limitations with respect
    to the platform used? Linux only? Windows only? Both? Neither?

    And you can probably add another dozen questions to the mix.

    Yes, I understand that you hope someone can say something like
    "Use X or Y, but skip Z because it sucks", but you really can't
    expect to get a to-the-point answer if nobody knows what you want
    this for.

    -Peter
    Peter Hansen, Dec 8, 2003
  6. Todd,

    If you are using wxPython, you might consider wxPyPlot:
    http://www.cyberus.ca/~g_will/wxPython/wxpyplot.html

    Colin W.

    Colin J. Williams, Dec 8, 2003
  7. Todd Gardner

    John Hunter Guest

    John Hunter, Dec 8, 2003
  8. Todd Gardner

    Todd Gardner Guest

    "Colin J. Williams" <> wrote in message news:<lW3Bb.9493$>...
    > Todd,
    >
    > If you are using wxPython, you might consider wxPyPlot:
    > http://www.cyberus.ca/~g_will/wxPython/wxpyplot.html
    >
    > Colin W.

    Thanks Colin! wxpyplot is awesome! My criteria are rather loose at
    this point because I do not have any clue what is available. I
    currently use a language called LabVIEW to plot. I guess that is what
    I am after for functionality. wypyplot does not do everything LV does
    but it comes close.

    Now I have a specific question. Given that I am rather ignorant in
    using wxpyplot where should I look to get started?

    Thanks,

    Todd

    Todd Gardner, Dec 9, 2003
  9. Todd Gardner

    Todd Gardner Guest

    Peter Hansen <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Todd Gardner wrote:
    > >
    > > Peter Hansen <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > > > Yes, include more detail about what you want to do. Specifically,
    > > > what platform, do you care if it's wxPython, or Tkinter, or something
    > > > else, etc. There are about a zillion possible answers to your
    > > > question as it stands, and "python graphing" or something on Google
    > > > would likely get you a lot of mileage right now. Maybe after you
    > > > do a little research there you can come back with a more detailed
    > > > question?

    > > There are LOTS of plotting choices on google. I guess I would like to
    > > narrow them down by tapping into some expertise.
    > >
    > > I would like to do 2D and possibly 3D plotting with python. I am
    > > tending toward wxpython because of it's ease of use.

    > You still haven't really given any information about your goals. Is
    > this program just for visualization of static data?

    Yes.

    > Anything dynamic?

    At this point no.

    I would like to say something like plot(x,y) for 25,000 points.

    > Who's the audience?

    Engineers and scientists.

    > Do you need to do printing of the same output?

    Yes, I would like to print, save and possibly load the graph.

    > How precisely does the printed version need to match the screen?

    WYSIWYG

    > Is this part of a program that you will be giving to others, or
    > is it just for personal use?

    I would like to compile this program and bundle it with my application
    and sell it on a single user basis. It is to be bundled with a larger
    electrical engineering consulting job.

    > Do you have any limitations with respect
    > to the platform used? Linux only? Windows only? Both? Neither?

    Mandrake Linux and Windows 2000/XP.

    > And you can probably add another dozen questions to the mix.

    If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Thanks for making me
    get the specs down a bit more precise.

    Todd

    Todd Gardner, Dec 9, 2003
  10. Todd Gardner

    Todd Gardner Guest

    Richie Hindle <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > [Todd]
    > > I would like to do 2D and possibly 3D plotting with python. I am
    > > tending toward wxpython because of it's ease of use.

    > I'm in the same boat, so I'm also interested to hear people's opinions.
    >
    > My requirements are exactly the same as Todd's except that I'm also
    > looking for high visual quality - antialiasing of both text and lines,
    > partially-transparent bars and areas, that kind of thing. Something like
    > an Anti-Grain (http://www.antigrain.com/) back end for matplotlib
    > (http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/) that used freetype
    > (http://www.freetype.org/) for font rendering and provided easy
    > integration into wxPython (http://www.wxpython.org/). Not much to ask.
    > :cool:

    Have you tried http://www.scipy.org/?

    How does that compare to wxpyplot besides the size requirements?

    Todd Gardner, Dec 9, 2003
  11. Todd Gardner

    Todd Gardner Guest

    John Hunter <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Colin> Todd, If you are using wxPython, you might consider
    > Colin> wxPyPlot:
    > Colin> http://www.cyberus.ca/~g_will/wxPython/wxpyplot.html
    >
    > Also matplotlib has a wxpython backend now. It's about a week away
    > from being ready, but there is a reasonably good development version
    > at http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net.
    >
    > JDH

    Excellent! Thanks for the heads up, I can't wait to try it.

    Todd
    Todd Gardner, Dec 9, 2003