How to graph two columns of x,y numbers?

Todd Gardner

I would like to graph two columns of x,y numbers? I would greatly
appreciate any pointers or suggestions.

Thank you,

Todd

Peter Hansen

Todd said:
I would like to graph two columns of x,y numbers? I would greatly
appreciate any pointers or suggestions.

Yes, include more detail about what you want to do. Specifically,
what platform, do you care if it's wxPython, or Tkinter, or something
else, etc. There are about a zillion possible answers to your
question as it stands, and "python graphing" or something on Google
would likely get you a lot of mileage right now. Maybe after you
do a little research there you can come back with a more detailed
question?

-Peter

Todd Gardner

Peter Hansen said:
Yes, include more detail about what you want to do. Specifically,
what platform, do you care if it's wxPython, or Tkinter, or something
else, etc. There are about a zillion possible answers to your
question as it stands, and "python graphing" or something on Google
would likely get you a lot of mileage right now. Maybe after you
do a little research there you can come back with a more detailed
question?

-Peter

There are LOTS of plotting choices on google. I guess I would like to
narrow them down by tapping into some expertise.

I would like to do 2D and possibly 3D plotting with python. I am
tending toward wxpython because of it's ease of use.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance. Todd

Richie Hindle

[Todd]
I would like to do 2D and possibly 3D plotting with python. I am
tending toward wxpython because of it's ease of use.

I'm in the same boat, so I'm also interested to hear people's opinions.

My requirements are exactly the same as Todd's except that I'm also
looking for high visual quality - antialiasing of both text and lines,
partially-transparent bars and areas, that kind of thing. Something like
an Anti-Grain (http://www.antigrain.com/) back end for matplotlib
(http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/) that used freetype
(http://www.freetype.org/) for font rendering and provided easy
integration into wxPython (http://www.wxpython.org/). Not much to ask.
:cool:

Peter Hansen

Todd said:
There are LOTS of plotting choices on google. I guess I would like to
narrow them down by tapping into some expertise.

I would like to do 2D and possibly 3D plotting with python. I am
tending toward wxpython because of it's ease of use.

You still haven't really given any information about your goals. Is
this program just for visualization of static data? Anything dynamic?
Who's the audience? Do you need to do printing of the same output?
How precisely does the printed version need to match the screen?
Is this part of a program that you will be giving to others, or
is it just for personal use? Do you have any limitations with respect
to the platform used? Linux only? Windows only? Both? Neither?

And you can probably add another dozen questions to the mix.

Yes, I understand that you hope someone can say something like
"Use X or Y, but skip Z because it sucks", but you really can't
expect to get a to-the-point answer if nobody knows what you want
this for.

-Peter

Todd Gardner

Colin J. Williams said:
Todd,

If you are using wxPython, you might consider wxPyPlot:
http://www.cyberus.ca/~g_will/wxPython/wxpyplot.html

Colin W.
Thanks Colin! wxpyplot is awesome! My criteria are rather loose at
this point because I do not have any clue what is available. I
currently use a language called LabVIEW to plot. I guess that is what
I am after for functionality. wypyplot does not do everything LV does
but it comes close.

Now I have a specific question. Given that I am rather ignorant in
using wxpyplot where should I look to get started?

Thanks,

Todd

Todd Gardner

Peter Hansen said:
You still haven't really given any information about your goals. Is
this program just for visualization of static data?
Yes.

Anything dynamic?

At this point no.

I would like to say something like plot(x,y) for 25,000 points.
Who's the audience?

Engineers and scientists.
Do you need to do printing of the same output?

Yes, I would like to print, save and possibly load the graph.
How precisely does the printed version need to match the screen?
WYSIWYG

Is this part of a program that you will be giving to others, or
is it just for personal use?

I would like to compile this program and bundle it with my application
and sell it on a single user basis. It is to be bundled with a larger
electrical engineering consulting job.
Do you have any limitations with respect
to the platform used? Linux only? Windows only? Both? Neither?

Mandrake Linux and Windows 2000/XP.
And you can probably add another dozen questions to the mix.
If you have any more questions feel free to ask. Thanks for making me
get the specs down a bit more precise.

Todd

Todd Gardner

Richie Hindle said:
[Todd]
I would like to do 2D and possibly 3D plotting with python. I am
tending toward wxpython because of it's ease of use.

I'm in the same boat, so I'm also interested to hear people's opinions.

My requirements are exactly the same as Todd's except that I'm also
looking for high visual quality - antialiasing of both text and lines,
partially-transparent bars and areas, that kind of thing. Something like
an Anti-Grain (http://www.antigrain.com/) back end for matplotlib
(http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/) that used freetype
(http://www.freetype.org/) for font rendering and provided easy
integration into wxPython (http://www.wxpython.org/). Not much to ask.
:cool:

Have you tried http://www.scipy.org/?

How does that compare to wxpyplot besides the size requirements?