    to others to view the site but are there any other potential problems?

    Thanks

    Steve

    Excel User, May 22, 2009

  2. Excel User

    Evertjan. Guest

    Excel User wrote on 22 mei 2009 in

    > I have a customer that has a closed network (no internet just an
    > internal network), can I setup a normal machine to act as a webserver,
    > I know if I set the machine as a static IP address, I should be able
    > to pass the details to others to view the site but are there any other
    > potential problems?

    Perhaps you would like to have a textual url?

    I do not think this has anything to do with classic ASP.

    --
    Evertjan.
    The Netherlands.

    Evertjan., May 22, 2009

  3. Excel User

    JR Guest

    On May 22, 6:20 pm, "Excel User" <> wrote:
    > I have a customer that has a closed network (no internet just an internal
    > network), can I setup a normal machine to act as a webserver [...]

    Yes, you can. In order to run classic ASP 3.0 pages, you only need:

    * any normal machine in the network (workstation) running Personal
    Web Server - PWS (Windows 95 / 98), or Internet Information Services -
    IIS (Windows 2000 / XP / Vista Professional); or
    * a server (a dedicated computer) running Internet Information
    Services - IIS (Windows 2000 Server or later).

    > [...], I know if I
    > set the machine as a static IP address, I should be able to pass the details
    > to others to view the site but are there any other potential problems?

    Either PWS (Win 9x) or IIS (Win 2000 / XP Professional) allow up to 10
    simultaneous connections, but I think it's enough for most cases where
    a few users share a specific Department's app. The other users in the
    network just have to type the IIS machine's IP or name in their
    browser's address bar, e.g.:
    http://127.10.10.0/DeptX/default.asp

    or

    http://machineName/default.asp

    Don't forget to configure IIS accordingly (things like users
    permissions, mapped directories, etc.).

    Regards,
    Joao Rodrigues

    JR, May 24, 2009
  4. Excel User

    Excel User Guest

    Thanks JR,

    when you say 10 simultaneous connections, does PWS still have a
    restriction - I thought it would not matter how many connections to the
    intranet site?

    Thanks again!

    Excel User, May 26, 2009
  5. Excel User

    JR Guest

    On May 26, 4:06 pm, "Excel User" <> wrote:
    > when you say 10 simultaneous connections, does PWS still have a
    > restriction -  I thought it would not matter how many connections to the
    > intranet site?

    Depending on how you build your asp code, this limitation is very rare
    to cause any problems in a small application. I mean, the 10
    concurrent connections won't trouble if you design pages that connect
    to a database, fetch the necessary data, and eventually disconnect,
    because these operations are performed in milliseconds. I had one app
    like this in 2002, using classic ASP, MS Access (.mdb file), Win 2K
    Pro, and never experienced any problem with the 10 concurrent
    connections limit, but I must admit my app was not used very
    intensively by their users.

    I forgot to mention that you can install IIS on any workstation even
    if it is logged to a LAN (Windows, Linux, Netware servers).

    Today I found a good FAQ about the subject:
    http://classicasp.aspfaq.com/general/where-do-i-get-iis/asp.html

    HTH,
    Joao Rodrigues

    JR, May 26, 2009