    can't validate single mail address.
    Can you help me??

    Thanks

    lnes, Mar 21, 2007

  2. lnes

    Guest

    lnes wrote:
    > Hi all:
    > I want do a email reality validation, it need use a smtp's command
    > "RCPT to". I found a php implement there <http://www.zend.com/zend/
    > spotlight/ev12apr.php#Heading16>, but I can't find a ruby edition. I
    > search many stuff, like simplehttp and Net::Smtp, I found maybe there
    > is no way to implemnt "RCPT to". Now, I just can validate the domain,
    > can't validate single mail address.

    First, the method you want to use is impractical at best, as a
    mail-server might just say "Yes, I have that e-mail address", even if it
    doesn't exist, or might even say "I don't have an email address like
    that". Thank the world's spammers for that.

    The only way to verify an email address is sending an email there, and
    require a link to an activation code.
    (There was a similar discussion on the security-basics ML on
    securityfocus.com a while ago.)

    Second, you can just use Ruby's Telnet library: establish a telnet
    session on port 25 (SMTP), and send the required commands. Those can be
    found either in the postfix manual, or in the SMTP RFC.

    > Can you help me??

    No. ;)

    , Mar 21, 2007