How to insert into listbox using wxPython

Brian Kelley

Andrew said:
Hi I just started learning wxPython

I wanted to know how I could do this in wxPython

self.listbox.delete(0, END)
for item in self.results:
self.listbox.insert(END, item)

I don't know but I think the insert and delete things here are specific of
Tkinter which I have been studying for the last little while

# make a list box with default choices
box = wxListBox(self, -1, choices=['a','b','c'])
# append a new entry
box.Append('d')
# reset the listbox to something else
box.Set(['1','2','3'])

# delete the second entry selection
box.Delete(1)

# get the index of currently selected entry
print box.GetSelection()

# get the string that is selected
print box.GetStringSelection()

# make a callback for when an entry is selected
def listboxhandler(evt):
box = evt.GetEventObject()
print box.GetSelection(), "selected index"
print box.GetStringSelection(), "selected item"

EVT_LISTBOX(box, box.GetId(), listboxhandler)

full little program
from wxPython.wx import *

class T(wxFrame):
def __init__(self, parent, id, title):
print "calling init"
wxFrame.__init__(self, parent, id, title)
self.mainsizer = self.sizer = wxBoxSizer(wxVERTICAL)
# make a list box with default choices
box = wxListBox(self, -1, choices=['a','b','c'])
# append a new entry
box.Append('d')
# reset the listbox to something else
box.Set(['1','2','3'])
box.Delete(0)
print box.GetSelections()
self.sizer.Add(box, 0, wxEXPAND)
self.SetSizer(self.sizer)
def listboxhandler(evt):
box = evt.GetEventObject()
print box.GetSelection(), "selected index"
print box.GetStringSelection(), "selected item"

EVT_LISTBOX(box, box.GetId(), listboxhandler)

app = wxPySimpleApp()
foo = T(None, -1, "hello")
print foo
foo.Show()
app.MainLoop()

Brian Kelley

Andrew said:
Hi thanks for your help but I am still having problems basically I am using
a button to connect to a Database and I want to display the data from the
database into the listbox
Here is the code I am using for the button

self.c = self.db.cursor()
self.c.execute("SELECT * FROM guests;")
self.results = self.c.fetchall()
# Here is where I don't know what to do I want to be able to get the
data from self.results and display it in the listbox
self.listbox.Append('')
self.listbox.Set([''])

It looks as though you are putting nothing in the listbox.

Append('') adds a blank
and listbox.Set(['']) replaces the listbox with a blank.

Try:
for x in self.results:
self.listbox.Append(x[0])

Brian

Andrew

Hi I just started learning wxPython

I wanted to know how I could do this in wxPython

self.listbox.delete(0, END)
for item in self.results:
self.listbox.insert(END, item)

I don't know but I think the insert and delete things here are specific of
Tkinter which I have been studying for the last little while

Anyhelp would be cool

Andrew

Hi thanks for your help but I am still having problems basically I am using
a button to connect to a Database and I want to display the data from the
database into the listbox
Here is the code I am using for the button

def OnB2Button(self, event):
self.db = MySQLdb.connect("localhost", "", "", "guestbook")
global db
self.c = self.db.cursor()
self.c.execute("SELECT * FROM guests;")
self.results = self.c.fetchall()
# Here is where I don't know what to do I want to be able to get the
data from self.results and display it in the listbox
self.listbox.Append('')
self.listbox.Set([''])
self.listbox.Delete(0)
print self.listbox.GetSelections()
self.sizer.Add(self.listbox, 0, wxEXPAND)
self.Set.Sizer(self.sizer)

Thank you again for your help

Cheers

Andrew

Andrew

Hi I had tried something similiar to that earlier.

I typed what you wrote

for x in self.results:
self.listbox.Append(x[0])

and I got the same error as what I had tried earlier

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "S:\GUI\MYSQL\mysqlgui.py", line 65, in OnB2Button
self.listbox.Append(x[0])
File "F:\Python22\Lib\site-packages\wxPython\controls.py", line 78, in
Append
val = controlsc.wxControlWithItems_Append(self, *_args, **_kwargs)
TypeError: String or Unicode type required

Any help is alway's appreciated

David Bolen

Andrew said:
I typed what you wrote

for x in self.results:
self.listbox.Append(x[0])

and I got the same error as what I had tried earlier

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "S:\GUI\MYSQL\mysqlgui.py", line 65, in OnB2Button
self.listbox.Append(x[0])
File "F:\Python22\Lib\site-packages\wxPython\controls.py", line 78, in
Append
val = controlsc.wxControlWithItems_Append(self, *_args, **_kwargs)
TypeError: String or Unicode type required

Any help is alway's appreciated

Your database query is returning a list of tuples, where each element
in the tuple is a column from your database that is part of the query
(or all columns in the table with your query of *). The tuple is not
a string, which is what the wxListBox understands how to display.

I expect that if you change the code to:

self.listbox.Append(str(x[0]))

you'll get rid of the error, since that will provide a string
representation of the tuple x[0], but I also expect it won't be
exactly what you want depending on the database columns, and/or the
way certain data types automatically turn themselves into strings.

In the end you'll probably want to process each entry in 'results'
according to your own desires for display purposes, formatting an
appropriate string to be put into the ListBox. You may also find that
using a wxListCtrl in wxLC_REPORT mode fits well since it will make it
simpler to divide the columns of data (either that or a wxGrid,
although wxGrid is probably overkill).

-- David