How to make Installer ??

ZOD

firstly About Bluewisher .. my project

1. Database:
a.Centralized( made in IBM DB 2, kept on server)
b.Embedded(Images, Flash templates... all in
folders , to be on every client Machine)
2. Server
a. Business Logic Classes : Those accessing the
Database..( contain all function and SQL querries...)
b. Server Classes : i am using RMI and
hence have to make a Server!!
3.Clent :
a. GUI classes( all made in Netbeans)
b.Client Classes(TO make the Client and make it
feasible to interact with Server on network.
As i dont know how to Use RMI in Netbeans... so .. i have to choose
the general methord of compiling thru.. command prompt ...

Now if i want to TEST RUN MY project on any number of Machine.. then
i have to copy the Embedded Database( i.e. all folders containing the
Images, Flash templates... etc) on each machine... then on each
machine .. i have to set Path of BIN folder of Java...then COMPILE AND
RUN ALL CLASS FILE.. AGAIN and again!!! And what if JDK is not
installed.. then i have also to installl.. the JDK ...

Can some one give me a solution!! like if it is " POSSIBLE TO CREATE A
INSTALLER ".. executing which all paths wil be set automatically and
Embedded Database get into its location automatically. SAME FOR
SERVER..
compilation process is done in one time!! then only JRE needs to be
installed on the machine!!

Please advise me on the above .. also point if some thing could be
done in better way, instead of what i am doing( as i have mentioned
above).

Ramon F Herrera

[...]

Have you heard about "Install Anywhere"? It performs Java
installations in all platforms.

I am so glad to see that people care about interoperability again...

-Ramon

Ramon F Herrera

firstly About Bluewisher .. my project

Do you have a logo or splash screen? May I suggest a blue star?

"When you wish upon a star..." :)

Best of luck in your project.

-Ramon

Andrew Thompson

ZOD wrote:
As i dont know how to Use RMI in Netbeans... so .. i have to choose
the general methord of compiling thru.. command prompt ...

Learn Ant. It will allow you to compile direct throught the IDE,
is portable to most other IDEs (worth mentioning) and can also
be invoked/started from the command line.
Now if i want to TEST RUN MY

Why are you SHOUTING at us? We are not *deaf*.
..project on any number of Machine.. then
i have to copy the Embedded Database( i.e. all folders containing the
Images, Flash templates... etc) on each machine... then on each
machine .. i have to set Path of BIN folder of Java...then COMPILE AND
RUN ALL CLASS FILE.. AGAIN and again!!! And what if JDK is not
installed.. then i have also to installl.. the JDK ...

Can some one give me a solution!! like if it is " POSSIBLE TO CREATE A
INSTALLER "

For which platform?

The usual installation method for (GUId) Java projects
is Java Web Start*. The only problem mentioned above
that JWS does not cover is the initial JRE installtion,
but a clever web page can do most of the checking and
refer the user to the right place to downlaod it, if needed.

* e.g.s said:
Please advise me on the above .. also point if some thing could be
done in better way, instead of what i am doing( as i have mentioned
above).

JWS.

Also, for general communication, note that
- People do not generally like to be SHOUTED at, and that
- One single '?' is enough to mark a question, and one single '!'
enough to emphasize a point.
- Also, the word 'I' should always be capital - *always*.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.physci.org/

Andrew Thompson

Ramon F Herrera wrote:
Have you heard about "Install Anywhere"? It performs Java
installations in all platforms.

*All* platforms?

I went over to their site* to try and determine that answer
for myself, but every time I went to change over to the 'features'
tab (which they quite irritatingly don't show an URL for), but
it kept crashing my 'OS component' - every time I tried.

* This is what you are referring to, right?
I am so glad to see that people care about interoperability again...

(mumbles) Maybe they should work on their damn web site.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.physci.org/

RedGrittyBrick

ZOD said:
Now if i want to TEST RUN MY project on any number of Machine..
then on each machine .. i have to COMPILE AND RUN ALL CLASS FILE..
AGAIN and again!!!

Why?

If the machines are all Windows XP with JRE 1.6 surely you don't need to
compile again and again?

Perhaps your target machines are different architectures such as Windows
XP, Solaris, HP-UX. Shouldn't the compiled classes still be usable for
test purposes without recompilation?

Ramon F Herrera

Ramon F Herrera wrote:

..

*All* platforms?

I went over to their site* to try and determine that answer
for myself, but every time I went to change over to the 'features'
tab (which they quite irritatingly don't show an URL for), but
it kept crashing my 'OS component' - every time I tried.

* This is what you are referring to, right?
<http://www.macrovision.com/products/installation/installanywhere.htm>

(mumbles) Maybe they should work on their damn web site.

I was talking about ZOD, the OP.

-Ramon

Lew

RedGrittyBrick said:
Perhaps your target machines are different architectures such as Windows
XP, Solaris, HP-UX. Shouldn't the compiled classes still be usable for
test purposes without recompilation?

I've deployed WARs written and compiled under Linux and tested under Windows
to servers running Solaris, across both Sun and IBM JREs. No recompilation
was needed.