How to make PerlScript work in firefox3 on xpsp3

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by V S Rawat, Aug 16, 2008.

  1. V S Rawat

    V S Rawat Guest

    How to make PerlScript work in firefox3 on xpsp3?

    I had asked it in ff support group and a member answered:
    --

    --

    What do I do? I have latest activeperl installed on my box but I think
    browser compatibility for perlscript shouldn't really need full fledged

    thanks.

    V S Rawat, Aug 16, 2008

  2. V S Rawat

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth V S Rawat <>:
    > How to make PerlScript work in firefox3 on xpsp3?
    >
    > I had asked it in ff support group and a member answered:
    > --
    > > Perl is not natively supported. You will need a Perl interpreter as an
    > > external processor.
    > >
    > > You need to identify and use an external protocol handler and identify
    > > what interfaces have to be used.

    > --
    >
    > What do I do? I have latest activeperl installed on my box but I think
    > browser compatibility for perlscript shouldn't really need full fledged
    > perl installation, like javascript doesn't need java. Isn't it so?

    JavaScript is completely unrelated to Java. The similar names are very
    unfortunate (blame Netscape's marketing department: the language was
    originally called LiveScript). PerlScript, OTOH, is just perl installed
    as a Windows ActiveX scripting language, so you *do* absolutely need a
    full (ActiveState) perl install.

    I have no idea if it's possible to use PerlScript from within Firefox. I
    strongly suspect it's not: AFAIK, FF doesn't support ActiveX scripting
    at all, so it won't support PerlScript either. If you can find anything
    that tells you how to use VBScript (or any other ActiveX language: are
    there others?) from within FF, the answer will apply to PerlScript.

    The answer you were given refers to using Perl as a URL protocol
    handler, without bothering with PerlScript. FF allows you to create your
    own URL schemes, so you could define perl:// URLs which you could
    (somehow) associate with an appropriate interpreter. I don't think you
    could (easily) get at the DOM, though, as you can with JavaScript.

    Basically: I think what you're trying to do can't be done, and any
    further questions about it belong in a Firefox group, not here.

    Ben

    --
    You poor take courage, you rich take care:
    The Earth was made a common treasury for everyone to share

    Ben Morrow, Aug 16, 2008

  3. V S Rawat

    V S Rawat Guest

    On 8/16/2008 2:22 PM India Time, _Ben Morrow_ wrote:

    > Quoth V S Rawat <>:
    >> How to make PerlScript work in firefox3 on xpsp3?
    >>
    >> I had asked it in ff support group and a member answered:
    >> --
    >> > Perl is not natively supported. You will need a Perl interpreter as an
    >> > external processor.
    >> >
    >> > You need to identify and use an external protocol handler and identify
    >> > what interfaces have to be used.

    >> --
    >>
    >> What do I do? I have latest activeperl installed on my box but I think
    >> browser compatibility for perlscript shouldn't really need full fledged
    >> perl installation, like javascript doesn't need java. Isn't it so?

    > JavaScript is completely unrelated to Java. The similar names are very
    > unfortunate (blame Netscape's marketing department: the language was
    > originally called LiveScript). PerlScript, OTOH, is just perl installed
    > as a Windows ActiveX scripting language, so you *do* absolutely need a
    > full (ActiveState) perl install.
    >
    > I have no idea if it's possible to use PerlScript from within Firefox. I
    > strongly suspect it's not: AFAIK, FF doesn't support ActiveX scripting
    > at all, so it won't support PerlScript either. If you can find anything
    > that tells you how to use VBScript (or any other ActiveX language: are
    > there others?) from within FF, the answer will apply to PerlScript.
    >
    > The answer you were given refers to using Perl as a URL protocol
    > handler, without bothering with PerlScript. FF allows you to create your
    > own URL schemes, so you could define perl:// URLs which you could
    > (somehow) associate with an appropriate interpreter. I don't think you
    > could (easily) get at the DOM, though, as you can with JavaScript.
    >
    > Basically: I think what you're trying to do can't be done, and any
    > further questions about it belong in a Firefox group, not here.
    >
    > Ben

    Thanks, Ben. A disappointing answer, but the bitter truth is truth.

    Google threw the following page adding the same:
    http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=664307
    --
    Re: Firefox Script
    by wfsp (Monsignor) on Jan 25, 2008 at 16:58 UTC

    The Active Perl
    http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePerl/5.10/Components/Windows/PerlScript.html
    docs say:

    PerlScript is an ActiveX scripting engine that allows you to
    use Perl with any ActiveX scripting host. At this time, ActiveX
    scripting hosts include:

    Internet Information Server 3.0/4.0/5.0
    Peer Web Services 3.0/4.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0x