How to make PerlScript work in firefox3 on xpsp3

V S Rawat

How to make PerlScript work in firefox3 on xpsp3?

I had asked it in ff support group and a member answered:
--
Perl is not natively supported. You will need a Perl interpreter as an
external processor.

You need to identify and use an external protocol handler and identify
what interfaces have to be used.
--

What do I do? I have latest activeperl installed on my box but I think
browser compatibility for perlscript shouldn't really need full fledged

thanks.

Ben Morrow

Quoth V S Rawat said:
How to make PerlScript work in firefox3 on xpsp3?

I had asked it in ff support group and a member answered:

What do I do? I have latest activeperl installed on my box but I think
browser compatibility for perlscript shouldn't really need full fledged
perl installation, like javascript doesn't need java. Isn't it so?

JavaScript is completely unrelated to Java. The similar names are very
unfortunate (blame Netscape's marketing department: the language was
originally called LiveScript). PerlScript, OTOH, is just perl installed
as a Windows ActiveX scripting language, so you *do* absolutely need a
full (ActiveState) perl install.

I have no idea if it's possible to use PerlScript from within Firefox. I
strongly suspect it's not: AFAIK, FF doesn't support ActiveX scripting
at all, so it won't support PerlScript either. If you can find anything
that tells you how to use VBScript (or any other ActiveX language: are
there others?) from within FF, the answer will apply to PerlScript.

The answer you were given refers to using Perl as a URL protocol
handler, without bothering with PerlScript. FF allows you to create your
own URL schemes, so you could define perl:// URLs which you could
(somehow) associate with an appropriate interpreter. I don't think you
could (easily) get at the DOM, though, as you can with JavaScript.

Basically: I think what you're trying to do can't be done, and any
further questions about it belong in a Firefox group, not here.

Ben

V S Rawat

[...]

Thanks, Ben. A disappointing answer, but the bitter truth is truth.

Google threw the following page adding the same:
http://www.perlmonks.org/?node_id=664307
--
Re: Firefox Script
by wfsp (Monsignor) on Jan 25, 2008 at 16:58 UTC

The Active Perl
http://aspn.activestate.com/ASPN/docs/ActivePerl/5.10/Components/Windows/PerlScript.html
docs say:

PerlScript is an ActiveX scripting engine that allows you to
use Perl with any ActiveX scripting host. At this time, ActiveX
scripting hosts include:

Internet Information Server 3.0/4.0/5.0
Peer Web Services 3.0/4.0
Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0x