How to manage the memory yourself? Unhandled exception at 0x00423e3b

Eric Kung

Unhandled exception at 0x00423e3b in memory_manager.exe: 0xC0000005:
Access violation reading location 0x00000004.

Souce file Download: http://www.cppblog.com/Files/mymsdn/memory_manager_bug_vs2008_debug.zip
Hey,
I am trying create a memory manager function to resolve some problem:
1. reference count the new / delete counter when allocate memory to
anaylize the memory leak problem.
2. reduce the memory fragment.
I have writen the memory_manager class to manage allocate and
deallocate a block of memory.
interface:
void *allocate(size_t size);
BOOL deallocate(void * ptr);
// ...
I am trying to create a placement new to replace the new from the
system, so I add the code below to do this.

#ifdef _DEBUG

static memory_manager mm;

inline void * __cdecl operator new(unsigned int size,
const char *file, int line)
{
void * res;
if((res = mm.allocate(size)) == 0)
{
// go to default allocator
}
return res;
};

inline void __cdecl operator delete(void *p)
{
if(!mm.deallocate(p))
return;
};

inline void __cdecl operator delete[]( void * p )
{
if(!mm.deallocate(p))
return;
};
#endif

#ifdef _DEBUG
#define DEBUG_NEW new(__FILE__, __LINE__)
#else
#define DEBUG_NEW new
#endif
#define new DEBUG_NEW

But I encountered the exception in runtime, "Unhandled exception at
0x00423e3b in memory_manager.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading
location 0x00000004.".
My memory_manager code has used the STL code to manage my manager
structures.
I debug my code and step into the STL code, I found it used the CRT
malloc to assign memory, after deconstruct the static variable
"memory_manager mm", system throw the unhandled exception.

Questions:
I don't know how to improve my code to use the placement new / replace
the new to my code?
I don't know what has happened in deconstruct the static variable?
I don't know is any better way to resolve my problems metion in the
begining of this post?
I have a thinking about create a shared_ptr to deal with it, may be
like this:
shared_ptr sp_(new MyClass);
// inner of shared_ptr:
// 1. new MyClass use the system allocator to assign memory.
// 2. In the constructor of the shared_ptr:
// 2.1 copy the memroy of the (new MyClass) object into our memory:
// static memory_manager mm;
// void * p = mm.allocate(sizeof obj);
// memmove( from obj to p);
// delete obj;
// return p;
// 3. Is it right?
// 4. if it's a array, like new MyClass[10]; we must delete the object
like this delete [] obj ? How to difference it?

Thanks!
Eric Kung 2010/07/08

Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet

* Eric Kung, on 08.07.2010 05:31:
Unhandled exception at 0x00423e3b in memory_manager.exe: 0xC0000005:
Access violation reading location 0x00000004.

Souce file Download: http://www.cppblog.com/Files/mymsdn/memory_manager_bug_vs2008_debug.zip
Hey,
I am trying create a memory manager function to resolve some problem:
1. reference count the new / delete counter when allocate memory to
anaylize the memory leak problem.
2. reduce the memory fragment.
I have writen the memory_manager class to manage allocate and
deallocate a block of memory.
interface:
void *allocate(size_t size);
BOOL deallocate(void * ptr);

Why not use C++ 'bool'.

// ...
I am trying to create a placement new to replace the new from the
system, so I add the code below to do this.

#ifdef _DEBUG

static memory_manager mm;

inline void * __cdecl operator new(unsigned int size,
const char *file, int line)
{
void * res;
if((res = mm.allocate(size)) == 0)
{
// go to default allocator
}
return res;
};

If this is in header file, indicated by the "inline", then you have one 'mm' per
compilation unit, and Undefined Behavior since operator new is "inline" and yet
defined differently in each compilation unit.

Remove the "inline", and also make the memory manager a single instance for the
complete program.

Also, when you define a placement new operator you should define a corresponding
placement delete, because that's the one that's invoked when a constructor throws.

inline void __cdecl operator delete(void *p)
{
if(!mm.deallocate(p))
return;
};

inline void __cdecl operator delete[]( void * p )
{
if(!mm.deallocate(p))
return;
};

Here you have operator delete[] but no corresponding operator new[].

#endif

#ifdef _DEBUG
#define DEBUG_NEW new(__FILE__, __LINE__)
#else
#define DEBUG_NEW new
#endif
#define new DEBUG_NEW

This is a pretty dangerous technique.

Yes, Microsoft does that.

And yes, that makes it bad. :)

Regarding your invalid pointer problem it may have something to do with multiple
instances of your allocator, or it may have something to do with the allocator
code. Or both. Try to reduce the problem to a minimal example program, and if
that doesn't by itself solve the problem, post the program.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf