How to open a shell prompt from an existing shell prompt

gaurav kashyap

Dear all.
On windows platform python 2.4,i can use os.startfile("filename") to
execute a file on a new command prompt

but on unix platform and python 2.3 what is the alternate for
executing a file like above in a new shell prompt

gaurav kashyap

Dear Tino,
I am using python 2.3.5. on POSIX system,I have the simple query as:

I log into the shell as root.Can i issue some command that will open
another terminal?(i.e I get a duplicate copy of the shell prompt
already opened)

gaurav kashyap

Dear Tino,
There is no subprocess module in python 2.3.5.

My goal is:

1.Open a terminal window and login as root.

2.Issue some command in the terminal window that will open another
terminal,similar to the one already opened.

Am i clear now.