How to parse form in client side?

Muddy Coder

Hi Folks,

cgi module can easily acquire the all fields of data input from client
side, through a form. Then, a simple line of code:

form_dict = cgi.FieldStorage()

grabs all data into a dictionary form_dict. The rest becomes a piece
of cake by querying the form_dict. Nice!

However, it is done in the server side. Now I want to do the same in
the client side. first of all, I get the source code of a HTML form by
using urllib, from server, with code below:

html_source = urllib.urlopen(URL).read()

Then, I need to parse this html_source file, at client side. Is there
a module to handle this? Can somebody help? Thanks!

Muddy Coder

Chris Rebert

Hi Folks,

cgi module can easily acquire the all fields of data input from client
side, through a form. Then, a simple line of code:

form_dict = cgi.FieldStorage()

grabs all data into a dictionary form_dict. The rest becomes a piece
of cake by querying the form_dict. Nice!

However, it is done in the server side. Now I want to do the same in
the client side. first of all, I get the source code of a HTML form by
using urllib, from server, with code below:

html_source = urllib.urlopen(URL).read()

Then, I need to parse this html_source file, at client side. Is there
a module to handle this? Can somebody help? Thanks!

http://wwwsearch.sourceforge.net/ClientForm/

Cheers,
Chris

Stefan Behnel

Muddy said:
cgi module can easily acquire the all fields of data input from client
side, through a form. Then, a simple line of code:

form_dict = cgi.FieldStorage()

grabs all data into a dictionary form_dict. The rest becomes a piece
of cake by querying the form_dict. Nice!

However, it is done in the server side. Now I want to do the same in
the client side. first of all, I get the source code of a HTML form by
using urllib, from server, with code below:

html_source = urllib.urlopen(URL).read()

Then, I need to parse this html_source file, at client side. Is there
a module to handle this? Can somebody help? Thanks!

lxml.html has good form handling support:

http://codespeak.net/lxml/lxmlhtml.html#forms

Stefan