how to pass serverside xml to client to traverse with javascript

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rotsey, Dec 17, 2006.

  1. Rotsey

    Rotsey Guest

    Hi,

    As the subject says I have an application that uses xml at the client to
    render custom tables to get a drill down effect.

    So I query my database and create a xml document of it.
    I then want to pass the xml to the client and have javascript
    manipulate it.

    So far I have it working by calling a XMLHttp request by passing the URL
    of the document. Which works fine.

    The problem is that the xml document is now publicly accessible on the
    internet. The xml data is sensitive.

    So can I deny access to the xml document?? I have tried setting
    NTFS permissions on the folder but it is still accessible.

    Is there a better way to do this?

    One other thing I tried was to serialize my data in memory to a string.
    then add the string to a input type=hidden control.
    Then use XMLDOM object in javascript to load the xml. But for some reason
    it would not load the xml from the hidden control.

    Please assist
    rotsey

    Rotsey, Dec 17, 2006

  2. Rotsey

    Rotsey Guest

    Hi,

    to anyone that has similar issues.

    I went back to pasing the xml to the client in a hidden control.

    I found out that in the process of serialising the data and it being sent to
    the
    client that some of the xml like < and ' were coded to &lt; and &quot;

    So after replacing these it works great. In IE 6 that is

    In Firefox for some reason looking at the source I can see the xml in hidden
    control but in javascript the value property is blank

    Any ideas
    rotsey

    Rotsey, Dec 20, 2006