how to post to a frame outside an applet

westin075

Hi,

I am trying to make an instant messenger window that runs atop a chatroom that many users would be in. I'm just having problems writing to the secondwindow or frame once an I'm session is initiated. Does this involve getting the info from im1 to goto im2 via the server first then writing to a socket? If so, once the IP address is obbtaained, how do you write to the IM windows and not the main chat room where everyone is? I'm slowly putting this together but if there's a book, help me.

I'm reading schmidts seventh edition "java" for this chat room, I dunno.

Public void paint (Graphics g, messagein)
{
//message comes from server first, before that messager2

g.drawstring(messagein)

John B. Matthews

I am trying to make an instant messenger window that runs atop a
chatroom that many users would be in. I'm just having problems
writing to the second window or frame once an I'm session is
initiated. Does this involve getting the info from im1 to goto im2
via the server first then writing to a socket? If so, once the IP
address is obbtaained, how do you write to the IM windows and not the
main chat room where everyone is? I'm slowly putting this together
but if there's a book, help me.

I'm reading schmidts seventh edition "java" for this chat room, I dunno.

Public void paint (Graphics g, messagein)
{
//message comes from server first, before that messager2

g.drawstring(messagein)
}

This is a pretty low level way to get text on the screen. You might want
to look at one of the text components, such as JTextArea. There's a
related example here:

<http://stackoverflow.com/a/3245805/230513>

Richard Maher

Hi,

I am trying to make an instant messenger window that runs atop a chatroom
that many users would be in. I'm just having problems writing to the second
window or frame once an I'm session is initiated. Does this involve getting
the info from im1 to goto im2 via the server first then writing to a socket?
If so, once the IP address is obbtaained, how do you write to the IM windows
and not the main chat room where everyone is? I'm slowly putting this
together but if there's a book, help me.

I'm reading schmidts seventh edition "java" for this chat room, I dunno.

Public void paint (Graphics g, messagein)
{
//message comes from server first, before that messager2

g.drawstring(messagein)
}

Could you use JSObject LiveConnect and let Javascript do it?

Cheers Richard Maher