how to prevent automatic conversion of .csv file to .xls

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?RGl2eWE=?=, Aug 10, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I have a web page which generates a CSV file based on some user input. When
    this file is downloaded by the user, the file is being automatically
    converted to .xls. Any idea how I can prevent this?

    My code (snippet) -

    StreamWriter sw;
    if(File.Exists(filename))
    File.Delete(filename);
    sw = File.CreateText(filename);
    string values="\"File Name\",\"Name\",\"Description\",\"Is Customizable\"";
    try
    {
    foreach(DataRow dr in dt.Rows)
    {
    for(int i=0; i<dt.Columns.Count; i++)
    values += ",\"" + dr.ToString() +"\"";
    }
    values += ",\"Document Type\",\"Category\"";
    sw.WriteLine(values);
    }
    catch(Exception ex)
    {
    //Show error msg
    sw.Close();
    return;
    }
    sw.Close();
    //Show success message

    filename = DMS.Global.site_config.getAttribute("base_href") +
    @"/temporary_files/file_import.csv";

    //hiddenlbl is an asp Label which is invisible when page is loaded
    //The following code is for the file download popup
    string htmlinput = "<iframe id='downloadFrame' src = '" + filename + "'";
    htmlinput += " style='display:none'></iframe>";
    hiddenlbl.Visible = true;
    hiddenlbl.Text = htmlinput;

    =?Utf-8?B?RGl2eWE=?=, Aug 10, 2004

  2. On 8/10/2004 2:37 PM, Divya wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have a web page which generates a CSV file based on some user input. When
    > this file is downloaded by the user, the file is being automatically
    > converted to .xls. Any idea how I can prevent this?
    >
    > My code (snippet) -
    >
    > StreamWriter sw;
    > if(File.Exists(filename))
    > File.Delete(filename);
    > sw = File.CreateText(filename);
    > string values="\"File Name\",\"Name\",\"Description\",\"Is Customizable\"";
    > try
    > {
    > foreach(DataRow dr in dt.Rows)
    > {
    > for(int i=0; i<dt.Columns.Count; i++)
    > values += ",\"" + dr.ToString() +"\"";
    > }
    > values += ",\"Document Type\",\"Category\"";
    > sw.WriteLine(values);
    > }
    > catch(Exception ex)
    > {
    > //Show error msg
    > sw.Close();
    > return;
    > }
    > sw.Close();
    > //Show success message
    >
    > filename = DMS.Global.site_config.getAttribute("base_href") +
    > @"/temporary_files/file_import.csv";
    >
    > //hiddenlbl is an asp Label which is invisible when page is loaded
    > //The following code is for the file download popup
    > string htmlinput = "<iframe id='downloadFrame' src = '" + filename + "'";
    > htmlinput += " style='display:none'></iframe>";
    > hiddenlbl.Visible = true;
    > hiddenlbl.Text = htmlinput;

    I don't know if there's much you can do; by default I believe Excel
    grabs CSV files, so it's a client-side issue (the client makes the
    request, sees a CSV and in Windows CSVs are opened by Excel). You could
    try renaming it to a .txt file instead....

    --
    Craig Deelsnyder
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

    Craig Deelsnyder, Aug 10, 2004

  3. Craig,

    I think I did not explain the problem correctly. To demonstrate my problem,
    I have created a sample project.....to access it, click on the link below -
    http://192.168.1.155/CSVGenerator/csv.aspx

    I created the file_import.csv file and included it under this project. But,
    when the user tries to download it, .net converts it to file_import.xls. This
    is what I am trying to avoid.......
    any comments?

    -Divya

    =?Utf-8?B?RGl2eWE=?=, Aug 10, 2004
  4. Divya,

    that's an internal ip on your network (192.168.n.n range). In any case, I
    think Craig gave you the correct answer - this is a client side issue -
    Excel is handling the .csv file type - try renaming the file on the disk to
    a .txt file as Craig suggests and see what happens.

    Steve

    "Divya" <> wrote in message
    > Craig,
    >
    > I think I did not explain the problem correctly. To demonstrate my

    problem,
    > I have created a sample project.....to access it, click on the link

    below -
    > http://192.168.1.155/CSVGenerator/csv.aspx
    >
    > I created the file_import.csv file and included it under this project.

    But,
    > when the user tries to download it, .net converts it to file_import.xls.

    This
    > is what I am trying to avoid.......
    > any comments?
    >
    > -Divya
    >
    > "Craig Deelsnyder" wrote:
    >
    > > On 8/10/2004 2:37 PM, Divya wrote:
    > > > Hi,
    > > >
    > > > I have a web page which generates a CSV file based on some user input.

    When
    > > > this file is downloaded by the user, the file is being automatically
    > > > converted to .xls. Any idea how I can prevent this?
    > > >
    > > > My code (snippet) -
    > > >
    > > > StreamWriter sw;
    > > > if(File.Exists(filename))
    > > > File.Delete(filename);
    > > > sw = File.CreateText(filename);
    > > > string values="\"File Name\",\"Name\",\"Description\",\"Is

    Customizable\"";
    > > > try
    > > > {
    > > > foreach(DataRow dr in dt.Rows)
    > > > {
    > > > for(int i=0; i<dt.Columns.Count; i++)
    > > > values += ",\"" + dr.ToString() +"\"";
    > > > }
    > > > values += ",\"Document Type\",\"Category\"";
    > > > sw.WriteLine(values);
    > > > }
    > > > catch(Exception ex)
    > > > {
    > > > //Show error msg
    > > > sw.Close();
    > > > return;
    > > > }
    > > > sw.Close();
    > > > //Show success message
    > > >
    > > > filename = DMS.Global.site_config.getAttribute("base_href") +
    > > > @"/temporary_files/file_import.csv";
    > > >
    > > > //hiddenlbl is an asp Label which is invisible when page is loaded
    > > > //The following code is for the file download popup
    > > > string htmlinput = "<iframe id='downloadFrame' src = '" + filename +

    "'";

    Steve Willcock, Aug 10, 2004
  5. Craig,

    Try
    this......http://192.168.1.155/CSVGenerator/temporary_files/file_import.csv

    even though u will try to access a csv file, the download popup will ask u
    ....... "do u want to save file_import.xls?" Is there anyway I could preserve
    the csv in the download popup?

    -Divya

    =?Utf-8?B?RGl2eWE=?=, Aug 10, 2004
  6. On Tue, 10 Aug 2004 22:38:32 +0100, Steve Willcock
    <> wrote:

    > Divya,
    >
    > that's an internal ip on your network (192.168.n.n range). In any case, I
    > think Craig gave you the correct answer - this is a client side issue -
    > Excel is handling the .csv file type - try renaming the file on the disk
    > a .txt file as Craig suggests and see what happens.
    >
    > Steve
    >
    > "Divya" <> wrote in message
    >> Craig,
    >>
    >> I think I did not explain the problem correctly. To demonstrate my

    > problem,
    >> I have created a sample project.....to access it, click on the link

    > below -
    >> http://192.168.1.155/CSVGenerator/csv.aspx
    >>
    >> I created the file_import.csv file and included it under this project.

    > But,
    >> when the user tries to download it, .net converts it to file_import.xls.

    > This
    >> is what I am trying to avoid.......
    >> any comments?
    >>
    >> -Divya

    >> input.

    > When

    > Customizable\"";

    > "'";
    >> > >
    >> > I don't know if there's much you can do; by default I believe Excel
    >> > grabs CSV files, so it's a client-side issue (the client makes the
    >> > request, sees a CSV and in Windows CSVs are opened by Excel). You

    >> could
    >> > try renaming it to a .txt file instead....
    >> >
    >> > --
    >> > Craig Deelsnyder
    >> > Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

    if you're getting a download dialog, either the server is sending the
    content as type octet-stream (which is not the case here), or the user's
    browser does not have a default action for the type of file you have
    loaded in the document window. meaning either Excel (or another app that
    can handle csv files) is not loaded on the machine, or a browser like
    firefox, that prompts for unknown MIME types.

    i'm not sure what you mean by converting to .xls, is the popup/download
    dialog saying that as the default name? I assumed Excel was trying to
    open it; AFAIK from the server side it either gets defaulted to the same
    name as the page containing the iframe, or the name of the src document of
    the iframe itself. Which is why i don't see where .xls is coming from...

    if you are trying to force a download, I might recommend this approach
    instead or as another option to try:

    http://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2002/04/01/asp.html

    Create a page that utilizes the download example there and set that as the
    source of the iframe. Another method to try. But this approach shows how
    to set default filenames, although if I remember right, this
    content-disposition header may be 'going out of style' with browsers in
    the future....

    --
    Craig Deelsnyder
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET

    Craig Deelsnyder, Aug 11, 2004
  7. I think you explained the problem fine. I think maybe you didn't understand
    Craig's answer. Here's the thing. On your computer, let's say you
    double-click a file with a .txt extension. It will open in NotePad. It
    doesn't "become a NotePad file." It is opened in NotePad because the
    Operating System recognizes the file extension, and opens the file in the
    designated program for that Operating System. When Excel opens a .csv file,
    it doesn't convert it to an Excel file format. It merely creates an Excel
    document in memory, and uses that to parse and display the .csv file. You
    would have to save it as "file_import.xls" in order to convert it.

    --
    HTH,
    Kevin Spencer

    Kevin Spencer, Aug 11, 2004