    if yes, how? if not, why?

    Thanks for your help,

    Paul.

    paul, Aug 12, 2004

  2. paul

    Neal Guest

    On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:43:20 +0200, paul <> wrote:

    > Hi Everybody!
    >
    > Does anyone know how to prevent people from saving a whole web page with
    > Internet Explorer?
    >
    > For example, this page http://cyberzoide.developpez.com/php4/file/
    > is impossible to save with IE6 as a whole web page nor as a web archive (
    > .mht)
    >
    > Does anyone succeed in saving it?
    > if yes, how? if not, why?
    >
    > Thanks for your help,
    >
    > Paul.

    Don't know about IE, but I easily viewed the source in Opera. I suspect
    Mozilla would be no more of a challenge.

    No reason to try this, it won't succeed universally.

    Neal, Aug 12, 2004

  3. In article <411b8ff8$0$7248$>,
    "paul" <> wrote:

    > Does anyone know how to prevent people from saving a whole web page with
    > Internet Explorer?

    Either don't put it on the web or make it so crappy no one would want
    to save it. But in either case it wouldn't apply just to IE...

    > For example, this page http://insérez.les/ordures/ici (obfuscated by me)
    > is impossible to save with IE6 as a whole web page nor as a web archive (
    > .mht)

    Peut-être c'est une manière d'annoncer votre emplacement sans
    apparaître à ? Comment dites-vous le Spam en français ? (Thanks
    babelfish...)

    Audry

    --
    tawdry glamour who is at smile global dot com

    T. Audry Glamour, Aug 12, 2004
  4. paul

    Karl Groves Guest

    Karl Groves, Aug 12, 2004
  5. On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 17:43:20 +0200, paul wrote:

    > Does anyone know how to prevent people from saving a whole web page with
    > Internet Explorer?
    >
    > For example, this page http://cyberzoide.developpez.com/php4/file/
    > is impossible to save with IE6 as a whole web page nor as a web archive (
    > .mht)

    I had no trouble saving it!!

    Others have answered your question reliably; here is my $0.02 anyways...

    The simple answer: it can't be done. At least not on the web. You will
    *always* have access to the HTML source of *any* web page you get from the
    web. Using IE-specific hacks or Javascript hacks to prevent someone from
    seeing and or saving the HTML source will never truly work. period.

    The web is a public interface. everything that gets to your computer from
    the web is savable somehow. everything. even transient things like
    streaming audio.

    --
    Jeffrey D. Silverman | **
    Website | http://www.newtnotes.com

    (** Drop "pants" to reply by email)

    Jeffrey Silverman, Aug 12, 2004
  6. paul

    Dave Patton Guest

    "paul" <> wrote in

    > Hi Everybody!
    >
    > Does anyone know how to prevent people from saving a whole web page with
    > Internet Explorer?
    >
    > For example, this page http://cyberzoide.developpez.com/php4/file/
    > is impossible to save with IE6 as a whole web page nor as a web archive (
    > .mht)
    >
    > Does anyone succeed in saving it?
    > if yes, how? if not, why?

    There is an IE bug(feature?), perhaps triggered by
    an IE Service Pack, or Windows update, that some people
    seem to think resolves the problem:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=235589
    but it didn't fix it on my Win2K PC.

    Using your example page above, I get the
    "Unable to save page to the selected location" error.

    Using http://www.allmusic.com/ IE also won't save the
    page, but the eror is slightly different:
    "This Web page could not be saved"

    Of course Mozilla Firefox had no problem saving
    either page ;-)

    The error message and symptoms vary - with the allmusic
    page, I can save the page as plain html, text, or archive,
    but the cyberzoide.developpez.com page I cannot save
    as either archive or complete web page.

    A google search(web or groups) will show lots of people
    have this problem, but no solutions that I could see,
    but then I don't use IE for any "real work", so I don't
    really care if it gets fixed on my PC :)

    --
    Dave Patton
    http://www.confluence.org/

    Dave Patton, Aug 12, 2004
  7. paul

    Jeff Thies Guest

    paul wrote:
    > Hi Everybody!
    >
    > Does anyone know how to prevent people from saving a whole web page with
    > Internet Explorer?

    Unlike everyone else I have seen this done.

    Use a broken character encoding. This will make the page viewable in IE6
    but not saveable. The page may not be viewable in other browsers.

    Typically that's a problem you would want to solve rather than create!

    Jeff

    Jeff Thies, Aug 12, 2004
  8. paul

    Mark Parnell Guest

    Mark Parnell, Aug 13, 2004
  9. paul

    data64 Guest

    Jeff Thies <> wrote in news:WlOSc.22491$Jp6.8614
    @newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net:

    > paul wrote:
    >> Hi Everybody!
    >>
    >> Does anyone know how to prevent people from saving a whole web page with
    >> Internet Explorer?

    > Unlike everyone else I have seen this done.
    >
    > Use a broken character encoding. This will make the page viewable in IE6
    > but not saveable. The page may not be viewable in other browsers.
    >
    > Typically that's a problem you would want to solve rather than create!
    >
    > Jeff

    Wouldn't wget still fetch the page and save it locally ?

    Wget is commandline utility available on most *nix platforms.
    http://www.lns.cornell.edu/public/COMP/info/wget/wget_1.html#SEC1

    data64

    data64, Aug 14, 2004