    the same type holds strings and integers.

    "Dollar sign foo" is clumsy, so is the general pronounciation "scalar
    foo", "array foo", etc?

    Hobo Salesman, Jun 21, 2006

  2. Hobo Salesman

    Guest

    Hobo Salesman wrote:
    > I realize this may be a stupid question but if theres one thing I don't
    > fear it's making an ass of myself.
    >
    > How do you pronounce $, in the context of it defining a variable? When
    > I was 10 years old or so and starting programming in basic foo$ was a
    > string of text, so now for me "$"="string" whenever I see the damn
    > thing. Now in perl I see $x=1 and a voice in my head says "string x
    > equals one", which makes me a feel a little daft because unlike basic
    > the same type holds strings and integers.
    >
    > "Dollar sign foo" is clumsy, so is the general pronounciation "scalar
    > foo", "array foo", etc?

    I would pronounce it as it is, a scalar. So I would say $x=1 as scalar
    x equals one. (By the way, if you didnt know, a scalar (a variable
    prefixed with $) holds more than just strings and integers.)

    , Jun 21, 2006

  3. Hobo Salesman

    Guest Guest

    Hobo Salesman <> wrote:
    : I realize this may be a stupid question but if theres one thing I don't
    : fear it's making an ass of myself.

    : How do you pronounce $, in the context of it defining a variable?

    : "Dollar sign foo" is clumsy, so is the general pronounciation "scalar
    : foo", "array foo", etc?

    Virtually a question self answered. The mnemonics go really as
    $calar and @rray (there is no nice catch for the %ash, though).

    Read more about pronouncable and/or memorizable names of weird characters
    in perldoc perlvar.

    Oliver.

    --
    Dr. Oliver Corff e-mail: -berlin.de

    Guest, Jun 21, 2006
  4. Tim Hammerquist wrote:
    > I sympathize. Due to my own unfortunate (read: catastrophic) TRS-80
    > BASIC incident years back, I too still find myself pronouncing '$' as
    > "string"... even in Perl.

    Ha, thanks, now I don't feel so bad. It wouldn't be so bad if it were a
    throwback from a respectable language, but I feel like if I said it to
    someone they'd roll their eyes and expect my next question to be what
    Perl's equivalent of "goto" is...

    HS

    Hobo Salesman, Jun 21, 2006
  5. Hobo Salesman

    Dr.Ruud Guest

    ITYM: $calar and @rray

    --
    Affijn, Ruud

    "Gewoon is een tijger."

    Dr.Ruud, Jun 21, 2006
  6. Hobo Salesman <> wrote:
    > I realize this may be a stupid question but if theres one thing I don't
    > fear it's making an ass of myself.

    I can testify from extensive first-hand experience that embarrassing
    yourself in front of hundreds of people is a very good way to
    "internalize" lessons.

    The general pronounciations are "$calar foo" and "@rray foo". :)

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Jun 21, 2006
  7. Hobo Salesman

    Ben Morrow Guest

    Quoth "Hobo Salesman" <>:
    > Tim Hammerquist wrote:
    > > I sympathize. Due to my own unfortunate (read: catastrophic) TRS-80
    > > BASIC incident years back, I too still find myself pronouncing '$' as
    > > "string"... even in Perl.

    > Ha, thanks, now I don't feel so bad. It wouldn't be so bad if it were a
    > throwback from a respectable language, but I feel like if I said it to
    > someone they'd roll their eyes and expect my next question to be what
    > Perl's equivalent of "goto" is...

    Err... goto ?

    Now, GOSUB is a different matter... (/me cringes in recollection)

    Ben

    Mystics and saints | Than ever was born
    The Levellers, 'Believers'

    Ben Morrow, Jun 21, 2006
  8. Ben Morrow wrote:
    > Err... goto ?
    >
    > Now, GOSUB is a different matter... (/me cringes in recollection)

    Goto is the same as gosub except it never returns.

    Hobo Salesman, Jun 21, 2006