How to properly recursively navigate into archives stored in archives

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by David Karr, Jun 1, 2012.

1. David Karr

David Karr Guest

I have a small perl script that I use to search archives for members matching a name. I'd like to enhance this so that if it finds any members in thearchive that are also archives (zip, jar, etc) it will then recursively scan those, looking for the original desired pattern.

I've looked through the "Archive::Zip" documentation, and I thought I saw how to do this. I noticed the "fh()" and "readFromFileHandle()" methods. However, in my testing, it appears that the "fh()" call on an archive memberreturns the file handle for the containing archive, not the member. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but I appreciate an example of how to do this.
    David Karr, Jun 1, 2012
    1. Advertising

2. David Karr

David Karr Guest

On Friday, June 1, 2012 9:57:01 AM UTC-7, David Karr wrote:
    > I have a small perl script that I use to search archives for members matching a name. I'd like to enhance this so that if it finds any members in the archive that are also archives (zip, jar, etc) it will then recursively scan those, looking for the original desired pattern.
    >
    > I've looked through the "Archive::Zip" documentation, and I thought I sawhow to do this. I noticed the "fh()" and "readFromFileHandle()" methods. However, in my testing, it appears that the "fh()" call on an archive member returns the file handle for the containing archive, not the member. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but I appreciate an example of how to do this.

I got this answered, at: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/...-archivezip-to-recursively-walk-archive-files
    David Karr, Jun 1, 2012
    1. Advertising

3. David Karr

J. Gleixner Guest

Re: How to properly recursively navigate into archives stored inarchives

On 06/01/12 11:57, David Karr wrote:
    > I have a small perl script that I use to search archives for members matching a name. I'd like to enhance this so that if it finds any members in the archive that are also archives (zip, jar, etc) it will then recursively scan those, looking for the original desired pattern.
    >
    > I've looked through the "Archive::Zip" documentation, and I thought I saw how to do this. I noticed the "fh()" and "readFromFileHandle()" methods. However, in my testing, it appears that the "fh()" call on an archive member returns the file handle for the containing archive, not the member. Perhaps I'm doing it wrong, but I appreciate an example of how to do this.

Keep looking at the documentation.. I haven't used it, but a quick
    read and it looks like members(), and/or membersMatching() methods
    seem to be what you're after.
    J. Gleixner, Jun 1, 2012
    1. Advertising