How to read an SQL Server into a ASP page and then change, add, delete and write it back to SQL Serv

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Belinda, Jun 10, 2004.

  1. Belinda

    Belinda Guest

    Hello All

    I need to read a SQL Server table into a Web Page and within the Web
    Page to permit my users to make changes to the records, delete or add
    new records and then save the entire contents back to the SQL Server
    table back.

    The functionality I am looking is almost the same as In the SQL
    Enterprise Manager whereby I can choose a table open the table and
    then return all rows and I can maintain the same and save it back to
    the SQL Server table. I want almost a similar web interface to such a
    functionality.

    Even if not a generic functionality as the SQL Enterprise Manager
    table maintenance appreciate if somebody can share the code with a
    sample how I can do it in ASP pages + T-SQL if need be.

    Thanks
    Belinda
    Belinda, Jun 10, 2004

  2. Belinda

    Jeff Cochran Guest

    On 10 Jun 2004 01:20:10 -0700, (Belinda) wrote:

    >I need to read a SQL Server table into a Web Page and within the Web
    >Page to permit my users to make changes to the records, delete or add
    >new records and then save the entire contents back to the SQL Server
    >table back.

    That's an extremely ineficient design. Send *everything* to the web
    page, then send *everything* back, even for just changing a single
    phone number?

    >The functionality I am looking is almost the same as In the SQL
    >Enterprise Manager whereby I can choose a table open the table and
    >then return all rows and I can maintain the same and save it back to
    >the SQL Server table. I want almost a similar web interface to such a
    >functionality.

    Then it's *not* the same. You change a row in the Enterprise Manager
    and it changes just that data in the table.

    >Even if not a generic functionality as the SQL Enterprise Manager
    >table maintenance appreciate if somebody can share the code with a
    >sample how I can do it in ASP pages + T-SQL if need be.

    Pull up a list of records that match a criteria (reduce the amount of
    data sent), then when a single record is clicked on to change, pull
    the full record into a form. Edit it and do an UPDATE on that record
    by clicking a "Save Changes" button. Simpler, faster and infinitely
    expandable. Plenty of sample code on the internet for each portion of
    this.

    Jeff
    Jeff Cochran, Jun 10, 2004

  3. Belinda wrote:
    > Hello All
    >
    > I need to read a SQL Server table into a Web Page and within the Web
    > Page to permit my users to make changes to the records, delete or add
    > new records and then save the entire contents back to the SQL Server
    > table back.
    >
    > The functionality I am looking is almost the same as In the SQL
    > Enterprise Manager whereby I can choose a table open the table and
    > then return all rows and I can maintain the same and save it back to
    > the SQL Server table. I want almost a similar web interface to such a
    > functionality.

    You definitely have the wrong idea about what's going on in the Enterprise
    Manager interface. Be that as it may, you do NOT want to give your users the
    ability to bring ALL the records from a table into their browser. A web
    application running in a browser is miles from having the same capabilities
    as a client application installed on a user's machine.

    I suggest you pick up one of the Wrox books on database programming with ASP
    and eductate yourself.

    In the meantime, you may want to download and try out one of the generic
    database tools for database editing available on te web. One such tool is
    Eli Robillard's GenericDB which is available at www.genericdb.com. This will
    give you a starting point and allow you to see what needs to be done.

    Bob Barrows
    --
    Microsoft MVP -- ASP/ASP.NET
    Bob Barrows [MVP], Jun 10, 2004
  4. Belinda

    Belinda Guest

    "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Belinda wrote:
    > > Hello All
    > >
    > > I need to read a SQL Server table into a Web Page and within the Web
    > > Page to permit my users to make changes to the records, delete or add
    > > new records and then save the entire contents back to the SQL Server
    > > table back.
    > >
    > > The functionality I am looking is almost the same as In the SQL
    > > Enterprise Manager whereby I can choose a table open the table and
    > > then return all rows and I can maintain the same and save it back to
    > > the SQL Server table. I want almost a similar web interface to such a
    > > functionality.
    > >

    > You definitely have the wrong idea about what's going on in the Enterprise
    > Manager interface. Be that as it may, you do NOT want to give your users the
    > ability to bring ALL the records from a table into their browser. A web
    > application running in a browser is miles from having the same capabilities
    > as a client application installed on a user's machine.
    >
    > I suggest you pick up one of the Wrox books on database programming with ASP
    > and eductate yourself.
    >
    > In the meantime, you may want to download and try out one of the generic
    > database tools for database editing available on te web. One such tool is
    > Eli Robillard's GenericDB which is available at www.genericdb.com. This will
    > give you a starting point and allow you to see what needs to be done.
    >
    > Bob Barrows

    Hi Bob

    Thanks for your tips. Please note the tables I will be permitting to
    edit have less than 2000 records so network impact is minimal secondly
    I am not planning to let all users maintain these tables.

    This is a what if analysis system users change the assumptions in some
    these tables which maintain the assumptions they keep iteratively
    changing the assumptions unless they meet the goal.

    Please highlight to me if there is a better way of maintaining this
    kind of asssumptions in a what if analysis situation. We have a number
    of users doing what if analysis on a SQL server database and some of
    them are remote hence we want to provided some kind of a data grid to
    enable them to maintain these assumptions.

    Thanks
    Belinda
    Belinda, Jun 11, 2004
  5. Belinda wrote:
    > "Bob Barrows [MVP]" <> wrote in message
    >> Belinda wrote:
    >>> Hello All
    >>>
    >>> I need to read a SQL Server table into a Web Page and within the Web
    >>> Page to permit my users to make changes to the records, delete or
    >>> add
    >>> new records and then save the entire contents back to the SQL Server
    >>> table back.
    >>>
    >>> The functionality I am looking is almost the same as In the SQL
    >>> Enterprise Manager whereby I can choose a table open the table and
    >>> then return all rows and I can maintain the same and save it back to
    >>> the SQL Server table. I want almost a similar web interface to such
    >>> functionality.
    >>>

    >> You definitely have the wrong idea about what's going on in the
    >> Enterprise
    >> Manager interface. Be that as it may, you do NOT want to give your
    >> users the
    >> ability to bring ALL the records from a table into their browser. A
    >> web
    >> application running in a browser is miles from having the same
    >> capabilities
    >> as a client application installed on a user's machine.
    >>
    >> I suggest you pick up one of the Wrox books on database programming
    >> with ASP
    >> and eductate yourself.
    >>
    >> In the meantime, you may want to download and try out one of the
    >> generic
    >> database tools for database editing available on te web. One such
    >> tool is
    >> Eli Robillard's GenericDB which is available at www.genericdb.com.
    >> This will
    >> give you a starting point and allow you to see what needs to be done.
    >>
    >> Bob Barrows

    > Hi Bob
    >
    > Thanks for your tips. Please note the tables I will be permitting to
    > edit have less than 2000 records so network impact is minimal secondly
    > I am not planning to let all users maintain these tables.

    This is irrelevant. The network traffic is not the only thing to think
    about. Browsers have limited ability to handle large amounts of data. Web
    applications do (should) not work by bringing all the records to the client.

    > This is a what if analysis system users change the assumptions in some
    > these tables which maintain the assumptions they keep iteratively
    > changing the assumptions unless they meet the goal.
    >
    > Please highlight to me if there is a better way of maintaining this
    > kind of asssumptions in a what if analysis situation. We have a number
    > of users doing what if analysis on a SQL server database and some of
    > them are remote hence we want to provided some kind of a data grid to
    > enable them to maintain these assumptions.

    I think the best way to do this would be to retrieve the records into a
    spreadsheet and allow the users to do what they will with the data. I would
    not recommend using an ASP application to give your users this
    functionality. Use the tools that are appropriate for the task.

    A Google search should find you information about using ASP to retrieve data
    from a database and put it into a spreadsheet which the user can download.
    As for saving the changes back to the database, you have several options,
    including:

    1. Give the user the ability to upload (there are third-party upload
    applications that can make this easy for you - do a search at www.aspfaq.com
    for some examples) his spreadsheet to a folder on your webserver and use DTS
    to import it into the database. See www.sqldts.com for pointers.

    There are other less efficient options, but I'm out of time. Maybe some
    other people can chime in here ...

    Bob Barrows

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET