    I want to create a GUI for this project in which we can enter the
    desired Text to display on LED and Scrolling Speed.

    Is this possible to create this Project in C?

    abhi, Feb 23, 2007

  2. abhi

    Guest

    On Feb 23, 3:10 pm, "abhi" <> wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to create a small project which will display scrolling text on
    > LED that will be attached to Parallel port. I want to create this
    > project in C language(possibly in Mingw) on Windows XP. I want to know
    > how can i access(read and write data) on parallel port in XP.

    You'll probably get a poor response here. This group concentrates on
    the C programming language in general, not how it can do something
    with a specific platform (hardware, O/S).

    Entering '"Windows XP" "Parallel Port" read write' (with the "
    characters but not the ' characters) into Google seemed productive for
    me.

    > I have a program that do the same thing but in its documentation it
    > says that it will not work on Windows XP.

    Shame...

    > I want to create a GUI for this project in which we can enter the
    > desired Text to display on LED and Scrolling Speed.

    Good luck. But don't ask about GUIs here...

    > Is this possible to create this Project in C?

    Yes, but you'll need to do things beyond the standard "portable" C
    that is discussed here.

    Follow the pointers above to search via Google, and if you need more
    help go to one of the Windows programming newsgroups, I'd suggest.

    , Feb 23, 2007

  3. abhi

    santosh Guest

    abhi wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to create a small project which will display scrolling text on
    > LED that will be attached to Parallel port. I want to create this
    > project in C language(possibly in Mingw) on Windows XP. I want to know
    > how can i access(read and write data) on parallel port in XP.
    >
    > I have a program that do the same thing but in its documentation it
    > says that it will not work on Windows XP.
    >
    > I want to create a GUI for this project in which we can enter the
    > desired Text to display on LED and Scrolling Speed.
    >
    > Is this possible to create this Project in C?

    The answer to your question would involve using numerous Windows
    specific functions, particularly for the GUI. Please post to
    comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32.

    santosh, Feb 23, 2007
  4. abhi

    jacob navia Guest

    http://www.beyondlogic.org/porttalk/porttalk.htm

    jacob navia, Feb 23, 2007
  5. abhi

    David Wade Guest

    "abhi" <> wrote in message
    > Hello,
    >
    > I want to create a small project which will display scrolling text on
    > LED that will be attached to Parallel port. I want to create this
    > project in C language(possibly in Mingw) on Windows XP. I want to know
    > how can i access(read and write data) on parallel port in XP.
    >
    > I have a program that do the same thing but in its documentation it
    > says that it will not work on Windows XP.

    Windows/XP stops user programs directly accessing the hardware as this can
    be dangerous....
    ... for example if a program could intercept a print request then it could
    cause output to be changed...

    > I want to create a GUI for this project in which we can enter the
    > desired Text to display on LED and Scrolling Speed.
    >
    > Is this possible to create this Project in C?

    Not in standard "C" which is the subject of this group. You will either have
    to write a device driver, and for that you probably need Microsoft C, and
    you certainly need the Platform SDK, or use a generic driver that provides
    safe access to the printer port.
    Either of these are platform specific, so you need a windows programming
    group

    David Wade, Feb 24, 2007
  6. Yes this is not a C question. It can be done using MinGw and the Windows
    SDK using the CreateFile() function. For more on this you might try
    microsoft.pulic.dotnet.language.vc - it is a little off-topic there to but
    people there are not too hard nosed.

    Regards
    Chris Saunders

    Chris Saunders, Feb 25, 2007
  7. abhi

    CBFalconer Guest

    Chris Saunders wrote: (*** and top-posted - fixed ***)
    > "David Wade" <> wrote in message
    >> "abhi" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> I want to create a small project which will display scrolling
    >>> text on LED that will be attached to Parallel port. I want to
    >>> create this project in C language(possibly in Mingw) on Windows
    >>> XP. I want to know how can i access(read and write data) on
    >>> parallel port in XP.
    >>>
    >>> I have a program that do the same thing but in its documentation
    >>> it says that it will not work on Windows XP.

    >> Windows/XP stops user programs directly accessing the hardware
    >> as this can be dangerous....
    >> .. for example if a program could intercept a print request then
    >> it could cause output to be changed...
    >>
    >>> I want to create a GUI for this project in which we can enter the
    >>> desired Text to display on LED and Scrolling Speed.
    >>>
    >>> Is this possible to create this Project in C?

    >> Not in standard "C" which is the subject of this group. You will
    >> either have to write a device driver, and for that you probably
    >> need Microsoft C, and you certainly need the Platform SDK, or use
    >> a generic driver that provides safe access to the printer port.
    >> Either of these are platform specific, so you need a windows
    >> programming group

    > Yes this is not a C question. It can be done using MinGw and the
    > Windows SDK using the CreateFile() function. For more on this you
    > might try microsoft.pulic.dotnet.language.vc - it is a little
    > off-topic there to but people there are not too hard nosed.

    Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after, or possibly
    intermixed with, the material which you quote, after snipping
    irrelevancies. This has not been snipped in order to maintain the
    overall meaning. See the following links:

    --
    Some informative links:

    CBFalconer, Feb 25, 2007