How to Read and Write on Parallel Port using C in Windows XP

abhi

Hello,

I want to create a small project which will display scrolling text on
LED that will be attached to Parallel port. I want to create this
project in C language(possibly in Mingw) on Windows XP. I want to know
how can i access(read and write data) on parallel port in XP.

I have a program that do the same thing but in its documentation it
says that it will not work on Windows XP.

I want to create a GUI for this project in which we can enter the
desired Text to display on LED and Scrolling Speed.

Is this possible to create this Project in C?

mark_bluemel

Hello,

I want to create a small project which will display scrolling text on
LED that will be attached to Parallel port. I want to create this
project in C language(possibly in Mingw) on Windows XP. I want to know
how can i access(read and write data) on parallel port in XP.

You'll probably get a poor response here. This group concentrates on
the C programming language in general, not how it can do something
with a specific platform (hardware, O/S).

Entering '"Windows XP" "Parallel Port" read write' (with the "
characters but not the ' characters) into Google seemed productive for
me.
I have a program that do the same thing but in its documentation it
says that it will not work on Windows XP.
Shame...

I want to create a GUI for this project in which we can enter the
desired Text to display on LED and Scrolling Speed.

Good luck. But don't ask about GUIs here...
Is this possible to create this Project in C?

Yes, but you'll need to do things beyond the standard "portable" C
that is discussed here.

Follow the pointers above to search via Google, and if you need more
help go to one of the Windows programming newsgroups, I'd suggest.

santosh

abhi said:
Hello,

I want to create a small project which will display scrolling text on
LED that will be attached to Parallel port. I want to create this
project in C language(possibly in Mingw) on Windows XP. I want to know
how can i access(read and write data) on parallel port in XP.

I have a program that do the same thing but in its documentation it
says that it will not work on Windows XP.

I want to create a GUI for this project in which we can enter the
desired Text to display on LED and Scrolling Speed.

Is this possible to create this Project in C?

The answer to your question would involve using numerous Windows
specific functions, particularly for the GUI. Please post to
comp.os.ms-windows.programmer.win32.

jacob navia

abhi a écrit :
Hello,

I want to create a small project which will display scrolling text on
LED that will be attached to Parallel port. I want to create this
project in C language(possibly in Mingw) on Windows XP. I want to know
how can i access(read and write data) on parallel port in XP.

I have a program that do the same thing but in its documentation it
says that it will not work on Windows XP.

I want to create a GUI for this project in which we can enter the
desired Text to display on LED and Scrolling Speed.

Is this possible to create this Project in C?

http://www.beyondlogic.org/porttalk/porttalk.htm

David Wade

abhi said:
Hello,

I want to create a small project which will display scrolling text on
LED that will be attached to Parallel port. I want to create this
project in C language(possibly in Mingw) on Windows XP. I want to know
how can i access(read and write data) on parallel port in XP.

I have a program that do the same thing but in its documentation it
says that it will not work on Windows XP.

Windows/XP stops user programs directly accessing the hardware as this can
be dangerous....
... for example if a program could intercept a print request then it could
cause output to be changed...
I want to create a GUI for this project in which we can enter the
desired Text to display on LED and Scrolling Speed.

Is this possible to create this Project in C?

Not in standard "C" which is the subject of this group. You will either have
to write a device driver, and for that you probably need Microsoft C, and
you certainly need the Platform SDK, or use a generic driver that provides
safe access to the printer port.
Either of these are platform specific, so you need a windows programming
group

Chris Saunders

Yes this is not a C question. It can be done using MinGw and the Windows
SDK using the CreateFile() function. For more on this you might try
microsoft.pulic.dotnet.language.vc - it is a little off-topic there to but
people there are not too hard nosed.

Regards
Chris Saunders

CBFalconer

Chris Saunders wrote: (*** and top-posted - fixed ***)
Yes this is not a C question. It can be done using MinGw and the
Windows SDK using the CreateFile() function. For more on this you
might try microsoft.pulic.dotnet.language.vc - it is a little
off-topic there to but people there are not too hard nosed.

Please do not top-post. Your answer belongs after, or possibly
intermixed with, the material which you quote, after snipping
irrelevancies. This has not been snipped in order to maintain the
overall meaning. See the following links:

--
Some informative links: