How to read data from web.xml (JSP)?

Sameer

Dear All,
I am using Tomcat 6.0 on Windows XP SP2.
What to do if i dont want to hard-code the database driver and server
address etc. into code.
I put it into web.xml as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app id="WebApp_ID">
<display-name>ithelplinereports</display-name>
<welcome-file-list>
<welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
<welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
<welcome-file>default.jsp</welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>
<context-param>
<param-name>db_driver</param-name>
<param-value>oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver</param-value>
<param-name>db_server</param-name>
<param-value>192.168.31.41</param-value>
<param-name>db_port</param-name>
<param-value>1521</param-value>
</context-param>
</web-app>

I used the following code to access it in JSP.

ServletContext context = getServletContext();
String driver = context.getInitParameter("db_driver");
String server = context.getInitParameter("db_server");
String port = context.getInitParameter("db_port");
<%
System.out.println(driver);
%>

But I am getting the null values on the console.

By using System.out.println(context), I noted that
the context object is not null and its value is:
org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationContextFacade@1a0d866

Then why I am getting the null value for
context.getInitParameter("db_driver").

Please revert.
Is this the right way to read data from web.xml? Any suggestions?

-Sameer

shakah

[...]

Try application.getInitParamer("db_driver") in your JSP page.

david.karr

Below.

Dear All,
I am using Tomcat 6.0 on Windows XP SP2.
What to do if i dont want to hard-code the database driver and server
address etc. into code.
I put it into web.xml as follows:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<web-app id="WebApp_ID">
<display-name>ithelplinereports</display-name>
<welcome-file-list>
<welcome-file>index.html</welcome-file>
<welcome-file>index.jsp</welcome-file>
<welcome-file>default.jsp</welcome-file>
</welcome-file-list>
<context-param>
<param-name>db_driver</param-name>
<param-value>oracle.jdbc.driver.OracleDriver</param-value>
<param-name>db_server</param-name>
<param-value>192.168.31.41</param-value>
<param-name>db_port</param-name>
<param-value>1521</param-value>
</context-param>

You're not using "context-param" correctly. Each "context-param"
element only takes a single "param-name" and "param-value" element.
I'm surprised this got past validation. I wouldn't be surprised if
the value of "db_server" is also null, but the value of "db_port" is
not.

Change this to three "context-param" elements, each with a "param-
name" and "param-value" element, and that should get you closer.

Sameer

Below.

You're not using "context-param" correctly. Each "context-param"
element only takes a single "param-name" and "param-value" element.
I'm surprised this got past validation. I wouldn't be surprised if
the value of "db_server" is also null, but the value of "db_port" is
not.

Change this to three "context-param" elements, each with a "param-
name" and "param-value" element, and that should get you closer.

Thanks!
(I am using Eclipse Europa and it not showing red mark anywhere.)

Manish Pandit

Thanks!
(I am using Eclipse Europa and it not showing red mark anywhere.)

Did you fix the deployment descriptor and then try it (as David
suggested) ?

Eclipse may not be validating against the DTD, hence you do not see
the red marks.

-cheers,
Manish