How to reconnect to an LDAP Server

Stephan Koser

Hi,
our application creates an InitialLdapContext when started.
After some minutes with no access to that connection the ldap server
disconnects.
If then a request to the connection is done we get the Exception

javax.naming.CommunicationException: connection closed [Root exception
is java.io.IOException: connection closed];...

1. Is there a way other than to catch the exception to verify if the
connection is still alive?
2. How can I reconnect to the ldap server?
I tried the method reconnect(null), but that doesn't work?