How To Request Delivery Receipts On Emails

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gregory_Pi=F1ero?=

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know how to program a Python script to send out emails
with a request delivery receipt? Is it something I can build into the
email message via the mime stuff?

And yes, I know it's probably a bad idea, but I can't talk my clients
out of it ;-)

Waldemar Osuch

Gregory said:
Does anyone know how to program a Python script to send out emails
with a request delivery receipt? Is it something I can build into the
email message via the mime stuff?

You have to add 'Disposition-Notification-To' header
from email.MIMEText import MIMEText
msg = MIMEText('Very important email I need confirmation on')
me = '(e-mail address removed)'
msg['From'] = me
msg['To'] = '(e-mail address removed)'
msg['Subject'] = 'You better follow up'
msg['Disposition-Notification-To'] = me
print msg.as_string()
From: (e-mail address removed)
To: (e-mail address removed)
Subject: You better follow up
Disposition-Notification-To: (e-mail address removed)

Very important email I need confirmation on

Dennis Lee Bieber

Hi Guys,

Does anyone know how to program a Python script to send out emails
with a request delivery receipt? Is it something I can build into the
email message via the mime stuff?
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc1891.html
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2821.html
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2822.html

I'm not sure if there IS a single method yet. Eudora has/had secret
ini parameters for "old style return receipt"; Outlook/Exchange have
both "when delivered" and "when read" receipts.

From Eudora help:
Request a Return Receipt

(Sponsored and Paid modes only)
You can request that your recipients notify you when they have seen your
message. To do this, click the Return Receipt button in the message
toolbar.
When your recipients open the message and then close it, a dialog box
appears asking them to create a notification message now, later, or
never (if you send yourself a copy of the message, you will see the
notification request). If a recipient chooses to create a notification
message, it is sent to you and tells you when the recipient displayed
your message.

If you receive a request for notification, click Now to queue the
notification message in your Out mailbox: it will be sent the next time
queued messages are sent. Click Later to close the message without
sending a notification or click Cancel to dismiss the notification
request from the screen while the return receipt message is open;
however, each time you open the message and then close it (or if you try
to delete it), the notification request will appear until you click
either Now or Never. Click Never to cancel the notification request
without ever sending a notification message.

The Return Receipt options may work differently than described,
depending on your recipients’ email software.

Return Receipt

If this is on, your recipients receive a request to notify you that they
received the message.
This function does not work in all cases, depending on the email
application your recipients are using.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Gregory_Pi=F1ero?=

Thanks for the help, guys. This project was put on hold so I wasn't
able to try out any of the advice yet. I'll let you know when I do.

-Greg