How to retreve connection string programmaticaly from this

dbuchanan

Here is part of the web.config - it is given to me like this.
=======================
<configuration>
<appSettings/>
<connectionStrings>
<add name="MyConnectionName" connectionString="Data
Source=MyServerName;Initial Catalog=MyDatabaseName;Integrated Security=True"
providerName="System.Data.SqlClient"/>
</connectionStrings>
<system.web>
=======================
How do I get the connection string?

The follwoing code is my attempt to connect

string cnStr;
cnStr = ConfigurationSettings. << At this point intellisense gives me the
following:

AppSettings
Equals
GetConfig
ReferencEquals

Introducing Microsoft ASP.NET 2.0 Shows a different suggests the following
code

cnStr =
ConfigurationSettings.connecionStrings["MyConnectionName"].ConnectionString;

However I get the following error
Error 1 'System.Configuration.ConfigurationSettings' does not contain a
definition for 'connecionStrings' C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My
Documents\Visual Studio 2005\WebSites\WebSiteCompletionReport\Default.aspx
13 41 C:\...\WebSiteCompletionReport\

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Doug,

From your description, you encountered some problem when tried retrieving
connectionstrings from ASP.NET web.config programmtically, correct?

According to the code you provided, I think the problem is due to the
"ConfigurationSettings" class you used. In .NET framework 2.0 application,
you can use the following means to read connectionstring (in
<connectionStrings> section in app.config or web.config):

1. For ASP.NET application, you can use the
System.Web.Configuration.WebConfigurationManager class's
"ConnectionStrings" property to access connectionstrings defined in
web.config file, e.g.

=========================
using System.Web.Configuration;

foreach (ConnectionStringSettings connstr in
WebConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings)
{
Response.Write("<br/>" + connstr.Name + ": " +
connstr.ConnectionString);

==================

2. Or you can use "System.ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings" property,
this will work in not only ASP.NET Web application, but also other desktop
application(console or winform):

====================
foreach (ConnectionStringSettings connstr in
ConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings)
{
Response.Write("<br/>" + connstr.Name + ": " +
connstr.ConnectionString);
=========================

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

--------------------
From: "dbuchanan" <[email protected]>
Subject: How to retreve connection string programmaticaly from this
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 01:25:38 -0400
[...]

Stan

[...]

Hi

Do this:

//put this namespace in scope

using System.Web.Configuration;

//then use the WebConfigurationManger to read the connection string

string ConStr =
WebConfigurationManager.ConnectionStrings["MyConnectionString"].ConnectionString;

A bit confusing I know but you'll get used to it.

BTW use the same for any AppSettings in ASP.NET 2 thus:

string Astring = WebConfigurationManager.AppSettings["MyAppsetting"];

HTH

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Doug,

Does the information in previous message help you? Please feel free to post
here if there is anything else we can help on this.

From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng [MSFT])
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2008 06:40:10 GMT