how to retrieve client machine info?

Q. John Chen

Is there an easy way to get following info of the client machine?

machine name
OS version
IE or Netscape, and there version etc.
Lan, Broadbank, or modem connection? Speed?

Kevin Spencer

IE or Netscape, and there version etc.

That you can get from the browser. It's in the Request. The rest is none of
your business. Well, at least you can't get it from the server, and you
would need a client-side executable to get it from the client.

--
HTH,

Kevin Spencer
Microsoft MVP
..Net Developer
What You Seek Is What You Get.

Guest

That isn't 100% accurate. You can get the OS from information that the
browser provides through ASP.NET or through JavaScript.

The ASP.NET provided method is to use the Request.Browser.Platform property.
I just tested it again, and it displays WinXP for my Windows XP system.

The JavaScript method parses either the navigator.userAgent or sometimes the
navigator.appVersion although you will have to do your own translation such
as Windows NT 5.0 is actually Windows 2000.

The first time I looked into the things that JavaScript can access, I was
pretty suprised. Some searching on Google can answer all of your JavaScript
detection questions.

Ian Suttle
http://www.IanSuttle.com

Kevin Spencer