how to return std::vector from function?

loufoque

BigBrian a écrit :
Why return a huge object by value
and just hope the compiler does the optimization, when there are other
options that are just as easy to implement and then you *know* you
won't have this as a performance issue.

Because those options are ugly.
I recommend the elegant C++ way.

Ben Pope

zl2k said:
It looks good, but can I sure that there is no deep copy involved when
getV() is called?

Yes. A boost::shared_ptr is, essentially, a pointer. So the the only
thing that is copied is the pointer, which holds some kind of reference,
to the vector.

Ben Pope

Gavin Deane

Tomás said:
Suppose I constructed a large array and put it in the std::vector in a
function and now I want to return it back to where the function is
called.

#include <vector>

template <class T>
class Unconstructed
{
private:

union UniversalAllignment
{
char a; int b; short c; long d;

bool e;

float f; double g; long double h;

void* p;
};

UniversalAllignment buffer[
sizeof(T) / sizeof(UniversalAllignment)
+ static_cast<bool>( sizeof(T) % sizeof(UniversalAllignment) )
];

public:

void* ObjectAddress()
{
return &buffer;
}

T& GetProperReference()
{
return *static_cast<T*>( ObjectAddress() );
}

};

void fun(void* p)
{
new(p) std::vector<int>();
}

int main()
{
Unconstructed< std::vector<unsigned> > my_vec;

fun( my_vec.ObjectAddress() );

std::vector<unsigned>& real_vec = my_vec.GetProperReference();

real_vec.push_back( 5 );

real_vec.~vector();
}

Splendid. I think you have surpassed yourself. Pure, incomprehensible
genius. Well done :)

To the OP: Don't ever write code like this if you want other people to
be able to work with it.

Gavin Deane

Rolf Magnus

zl2k said:
I am not sure, correct me if not. Is there any deep copy needed if I
return a std container from a function? I'll be very happy if not.
Your description is correct, though that is not a memory leak.
right, no leak but the returned pointer is invalid.
Is there anyway that I can get a correct pointer from fun()? I also
thought to use a smart pointer, such as boost::shared_ptr:

boost::shared_ptr< std::vector<int> > getV(){ boost::shared_ptr<
std::vector<int> > v; v->push_back(1); v->push_back(2); return v;
int main(){
boost::shared_ptr< std::vector<int> > v = getV(); std::cout <<
v->at(0);
return 0;
I got the following message when run the program:
/usr/include/boost/shared_ptr.hpp:253: T*
boost::shared_ptr<T>::eek:perator->() const [with T = std::vector<int,
std::allocator<int> >]: Assertion `px != 0' failed. Aborted

How can I get it correct? Is there any deep copy when the getV() return
the shared_ptr?

Instead of returning a vector, your function could simply take one by
reference.

void fun(std::vector<int>& v){
//fill the vector v;
int main(){
std::vector<int> a;
fun(a);
return 0;
}
In some cases, I can't construct an empty container and pass it to the
function.

I can't think of any.
I want the class which owns the member function fun to own the
container. Say,

Class A {
public:
void GenerateBigData();
void getBigData();
private:
std::vector<int> bigData;
}

Basically, the bigData is generated within the class A. When I need it, I
just want to access the bigData by calling getBigData. I don't want a
duplicated copy of the bigData, a reference will be good.

Then use a reference.

class A {
public:
void GenerateBigData();
const std::vector<int>& getBigData() const { return bigData; }
private:
std::vector<int> bigData;
};

int main()
{
A a;
a.GenerateBigData();
const std::vector<int>& data = a.getBigData();

Rolf Magnus

zl2k wrote
On Mon, 20 Mar 2006 18:44:34 +0100, Rolf Magnus wrote

zl2k wrote

hi, c++ use

Suppose I constructed a large array and put it in the std::vector i
function and now I want to return it back to where the function i
called. I can do like this

std::vector<int> fun()
//build the vector v
return v

int main()
std::vector<int> a = fun()
return 0

It works fine. However, I believe there is a deep copy in fun()

Why
I am not sure, correct me if not. Is there any deep copy needed if
return a std container from a function? I'll be very happy if not

so the cost is big when the array is big. Now I tried to return
pointer without deep copy

std::vector<int>* fun()
//build a pointer to vector
return *v

int main()
std::vector<int>* a = fun()
return 0

This got memory leak trouble in fun() since v will be deleted afte
return thus the pointer returned will be invalid

Your description is correct, though that is not a memory leak
right, no leak but the returned pointer is invalid

Is there anyway that I can get a correct pointer from fun()? I als
thought to use a smart pointer, such as boost::shared_ptr

boost::shared_ptr< std::vector<int> > getV() boost::shared_pt
std::vector<int> > v; v->push_back(1) v->push_back(2); return v

int main()
boost::shared_ptr< std::vector<int> > v = getV() std::cou
v->at(0)
return 0

I got the following message when run the program
/usr/include/boost/shared_ptr.hpp:253: T
boost::shared_ptr<T>::eek:perator->() const [with T std::vector<int
std::allocator<int> >]: Assertion `px != 0' failed. Aborte

How can I get it correct? Is there any deep copy when the getV( retur
the shared_ptr

Instead of returning a vector, your function could simply take on b
reference

void fun(std::vector<int>& v)
//fill the vector v

int main()
std::vector<int> a
fun(a)
return 0

In some cases, I can't construct an empty container and pass it t th
function
I can't think of any
I want the class which owns the member function fun to own th
container. Say

Class A
public
void GenerateBigData()
void getBigData()
private
std::vector<int> bigData

Basically, the bigData is generated within the class A. When I nee it,
just want to access the bigData by calling getBigData. I don't wan
duplicated copy of the bigData, a reference will be good
Then use a reference

class A
public
void GenerateBigData()
const std::vector<int>& getBigData() const { retur
bigData;
private
std::vector<int> bigData
}

int main(

A a
a.GenerateBigData()
const std::vector<int>& data = a.getBigData()

Roland Pibinger

If you compile this with gcc in normal mode, you can see there is no
copying done. (you can disable those optimizations in gcc with
-fno-elide-constructors, and you will therefore see that it is copied twice)
Other modern compilers probably do so too.

RVO is a hack! According to C++ semantics copying is performed. But
with some compilers using some compiler switches under certain
non-portable circumstances one or even two function calls are just
elided.
RVO thwarts language rules and depends on questionable 'optimizations'
beyond the language. I wouldn't call that an 'elegant C++ way'. Quite
the contrary.

Best regards,
Roland Pibinger

loufoque

Roland Pibinger a écrit :
RVO is a hack! According to C++ semantics copying is performed.

According to this [1], it is said in the specification that
implementations may optimize it.
The first form is already optimized by old pre-standard C++ compilers
like MSVC6.

[1] http://nkari.uw.hu/Tutorials/CPPTips/ret_val_opt

I actually searched it in the specification to be sure.
Unfortunetely I don't have the official one, so I used the current
working draft for the next version. (I probably wouldn't have the right
to paste the official anyway)
Here we go :

<bigquote>

When certain criteria are met, an implementation is allowed to omit the
copy construction of a class object, even if
the copy constructor and/or destructor for the object have side effects.
In such cases, the implementation treats the
source and target of the omitted copy operation as simply two different
ways of referring to the same object, and the
destruction of that object occurs at the later of the times when the two
objects would have been destroyed without the
optimization. This elision of copy operations is permitted in the
following circumstances (which may be combined
to eliminate multiple copies):

— in a return statement in a function with a class return type, when the
expression is the name of a non-volatile
automatic object with the same cv-unqualified type as the function
return type, the copy operation can be omitted
by constructing the automatic object directly into the function's return
value

— when a temporary class object that has not been bound to a reference
would be copied to a class object with
the same cv-unqualified type, the copy operation can be omitted by
constructing the temporary object directly into
the target of the omitted copy

[ Example:
class Thing {
public :
Thing ();
~ Thing ();
Thing ( const Thing &);
};

Thing f () {
Thing t;
return t;
}

Thing t2 = f();

Here the criteria for elision can be combined to eliminate two calls to
the copy constructor of class Thing: the copying
of the local automatic object t into the temporary object for the return
value of function f() and the copying of that
temporary object into object t2. Effectively, the construction of the
local object t can be viewed as directly initializing
the global object t2, and that object’s destruction will occur at
program exit. —end example ]

But
with some compilers

Probably most of them.
Unfortunetely I only own two C++ compilers, gcc and icc to test it out
(it was optimized for both of them)
You are free to test it with all the C++ compilers you have.

using some compiler switches

using no switch.
The switch is to disable the optimization.

under certain
non-portable circumstances

The code I gave is always optimized whatever the platform and the
circumstances are with the compilers that perform such optimizations.

I wouldn't call that an 'elegant C++ way'. Quite
the contrary.

It is elegant because it doesn't use pointers which should be avoided
whenever possible. (they're pure evil)

Noah Roberts

zl2k said:
So what is the straight forward way to solve the problem (without passing
an empty container into the fun and porpulize it inside)?

Well, passing in a reference in a pretty straight forward way to do it.
Other option would be returning an auto_ptr<vector<X> >. This allows
you to create a vector on the heap but still not worry about who needs
to destroy it.

Alexei Zakharov

loufoque said:
BigBrian a écrit :

Because those options are ugly.
I recommend the elegant C++ way.

I second that. And besides, C++0x "rvalue reference" proposal will make the
elegant C++ way have the optimal performance regardless of compiler
optimizations.

Rolf Magnus

Roland said:
RVO is a hack! According to C++ semantics copying is performed.

According to the C++ standard, copying may be performed, but doesn't need
to. This is an option.
But with some compilers

probably most nowadays and even older ones
using some compiler switches

probably even without them or with standard optimization switches.
under certain non-portable circumstances

? What's unportable about those circumstances?
one or even two function calls are just elided.

No. The returned object is just not copied but used directly. This means
that no additional storage is acquired, no copy of the object is made
(which includes but isn't limited to eliding the copy constructor), and of
course only one object is destroyed instead of two. So it's much more than
just eliding a function call or two.
RVO thwarts language rules and depends on questionable 'optimizations'
beyond the language.

It's not at all beyond the language. It's part of it.
I wouldn't call that an 'elegant C++ way'. Quite the contrary.

void func1(const MyClass& obj);
MyClass func2();

func1(func2());

looks more elegant to me than:

void func1(const MyClass& obj);
void func2(MyClass& obj);

MyClass x;
func2(x);
func1(x);

and if you consider operators, you don't even have any choice:

MyClass& operator+(const MyClass& lhs, const MyClass& rhs);

Would you instead prefer this?

void add(MyClass& result, const MyClass& lhs, const MyClass& rhs);

Which one looks more like an "elegant C++ way" to you?

Rolf Magnus

Roland said:
[...]

BobR

zl2k wrote in message ...
So what is the straight forward way to solve the problem (without passing
an empty container into the fun and porpulize it inside)?

If you can't take the vector to fun(), put fun() in the vector!! <G>

#include <iostream> // C++
#include <ostream> // std::endl
#include <fstream>
#include <vector>

class VecInt : public std::vector<int> { public:
VecInt(std::eek:stream &out){
push_back( 7 );
std::ifstream fin( "graphic.txt" ); // JoeC's file, numbers in
text.
if( fin ){
for( int nud(0); fin >> nud; ){ push_back( nud );}
}
else{ out<<"could not open file"<<std::endl;}
} // VecInt Ctor
// ------------------------------------
void fun(){ at( 0 ) = 99; return;}
// void fun(size_t index){ if(index<size()) at( index ) = 99;}
// ------------------------------------
void Write(std::eek:stream &out = std::cout){
for(const_iterator w = begin(); w != end(); ++w)
out<< *w <<" "; // out << *w << std::endl;
out<<std::endl;
} //Write(ostream&)
private:
// stuff here
}; //class VecInt
// ------------------------------------

int main(){
VecInt Vec1( std::cout );
Vec1.push_back( 77777 );
Vec1.Write( std::cout );
Vec1.fun();
std::eek:fstream fout( "Afile.txt" );
if( fout ){
Vec1.Write( fout );
}
return 0;
} // main()end

[ throw (std::exception)'s removed ]
[ tested on GCC MinGW 3.3.1. corrections welcome ]

peter koch

zl2k skrev:
hi, c++ user

Suppose I constructed a large array and put it in the std::vector in a
function and now I want to return it back to where the function is called.
I can do like this:

std::vector<int> fun(){
//build the vector v;
return v;
}

int main(){
std::vector<int> a = fun();
return 0;
}

It works fine. However, I believe there is a deep copy in fun(), so the
cost is big when the array is big.

I would be quite surprised to see a compiler having any deep copy here.
[snip]
Thanks a lot.

zl2k

The only sensible thing to do is follow your original hunch and let the
optimizer do the job for you. If you decide that your program is to
slow and if your profiling shows the copy to be the culprit, by all
means return here (or even better to a group dedicated to your
compiler) for more advice.
Until then just don't throw away the way that is most readable and also
probably the fastest in order to replace it with an obscure, slow
algorithm.