How to select an image for display in aspx

P

Peter Wallington

Hi All,

Can anyone help me out with this one. I have a basic aspx page with an image placeholder on it. I want to be able to click a button on the page and have a dialog window appear where I can navigate the Client's PC and select a file (a JPG of GIF). I then want to change the image placeholder to display the selected image.

The problem I have is that I just can't work out how to browse the clients hard-disk. I have tried "
commonDialog1 = CreateObject("UserAccounts.CommonDialog")" and

"MyFolder = New System.Windows.Forms.FolderBrowserDialog"

but both give me a dialog window 'ghost' that is, the appear as a frame without any contents. The only way I know they are there is if I drag another application window over them. The screen tries to redraw them without any luck.

TIA,

Peter Wallington

G

Greg Burns

I would think you would have to use an html file upload input control. (You cannot create common dialog boxs on a web app). You should be able to grab the selected filename from it???

<INPUT id="File1" type="file" name="fileInput" runat="server">

pseduo code to upload a file, modify accordingly:

If Not File1.PostedFile Is Nothing AndAlso Not File1.PostedFile.FileName = String.Empty Then
Try

fileName = Server.MapPath("~\uploads\") & Path.GetFileName(File1.PostedFile.FileName.ToString)

File1.PostedFile.SaveAs(fileName)

fileSize = CType(File1.PostedFile.InputStream.Length, Integer)
contentType = File1.PostedFile.ContentType()

Dim fs As FileStream = New FileStream(fileName, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read)

imagefile = New Byte(CType(fs.Length, Integer)) {}

fs.Read(imagefile, 0, CType(fs.Length, Integer))

fs.Close()

FileFound = True

Catch ex As System.IO.FileNotFoundException

Trace.Warn("file not found", ex.ToString)

Catch ex As Exception

Trace.Warn("upload", ex.ToString)

End Try
End If

HTH,
Greg

Hi All,

Can anyone help me out with this one. I have a basic aspx page with an image placeholder on it. I want to be able to click a button on the page and have a dialog window appear where I can navigate the Client's PC and select a file (a JPG of GIF). I then want to change the image placeholder to display the selected image.

The problem I have is that I just can't work out how to browse the clients hard-disk. I have tried "

but both give me a dialog window 'ghost' that is, the appear as a frame without any contents. The only way I know they are there is if I drag another application window over them. The screen tries to redraw them without any luck.

TIA,

Peter Wallington

G

Greg Burns

You forgot one. <roll eyes>

microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
I would think you would have to use an html file upload input control. (You cannot create common dialog boxs on a web app). You should be able to grab the selected filename from it???

<INPUT id="File1" type="file" name="fileInput" runat="server">

pseduo code to upload a file, modify accordingly:

If Not File1.PostedFile Is Nothing AndAlso Not File1.PostedFile.FileName = String.Empty Then
Try

fileName = Server.MapPath("~\uploads\") & Path.GetFileName(File1.PostedFile.FileName.ToString)

File1.PostedFile.SaveAs(fileName)

fileSize = CType(File1.PostedFile.InputStream.Length, Integer)
contentType = File1.PostedFile.ContentType()

Dim fs As FileStream = New FileStream(fileName, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read)

imagefile = New Byte(CType(fs.Length, Integer)) {}

fs.Read(imagefile, 0, CType(fs.Length, Integer))

fs.Close()

FileFound = True

Catch ex As System.IO.FileNotFoundException

Trace.Warn("file not found", ex.ToString)

Catch ex As Exception

Trace.Warn("upload", ex.ToString)

End Try
End If

HTH,
Greg

Hi All,

TIA,

Peter Wallington

Ask a Question