How to select an image for display in aspx

Peter Wallington

Hi All,

Can anyone help me out with this one. I have a basic aspx page with an image placeholder on it. I want to be able to click a button on the page and have a dialog window appear where I can navigate the Client's PC and select a file (a JPG of GIF). I then want to change the image placeholder to display the selected image.

The problem I have is that I just can't work out how to browse the clients hard-disk. I have tried "
commonDialog1 = CreateObject("UserAccounts.CommonDialog")" and

"MyFolder = New System.Windows.Forms.FolderBrowserDialog"

but both give me a dialog window 'ghost' that is, the appear as a frame without any contents. The only way I know they are there is if I drag another application window over them. The screen tries to redraw them without any luck.

TIA,

Peter Wallington

Greg Burns

I would think you would have to use an html file upload input control. (You cannot create common dialog boxs on a web app). You should be able to grab the selected filename from it???

<INPUT id="File1" type="file" name="fileInput" runat="server">

pseduo code to upload a file, modify accordingly:

If Not File1.PostedFile Is Nothing AndAlso Not File1.PostedFile.FileName = String.Empty Then
Try

fileName = Server.MapPath("~\uploads\") & Path.GetFileName(File1.PostedFile.FileName.ToString)

File1.PostedFile.SaveAs(fileName)

fileSize = CType(File1.PostedFile.InputStream.Length, Integer)
contentType = File1.PostedFile.ContentType()

Dim fs As FileStream = New FileStream(fileName, FileMode.Open, FileAccess.Read)

imagefile = New Byte(CType(fs.Length, Integer)) {}

fs.Read(imagefile, 0, CType(fs.Length, Integer))

fs.Close()

FileFound = True

Catch ex As System.IO.FileNotFoundException

Trace.Warn("file not found", ex.ToString)

Catch ex As Exception

Trace.Warn("upload", ex.ToString)

End Try
End If

[...]