How to share data between two controls

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Building Controls' started by Guest, Jan 8, 2004.

  1. Guest

    Guest Guest

    How to share data between two controls????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

    Hi!

    I have a big big problem!!!

    :(

    what I will do:

    on my web form: UpdateFacility.aspx

    are two controls: SearchFacility.ascx and AddEditFacility.ascx

    SearchFacility has a dropdown list. when the user choose an item from the
    dropdown list the SearchFacility should transfer the selected item value to
    a text box on the second control (AddEditFacility).

    I try it so:

    I set:

    ViewState.Add("currentFacilityOID", _ddlFacilities.SelectedItem.Value);

    On the InitializeComponent() in AddEditFacility is
    ViewState["currentFacilityOID"] ever null.

    It seems that on this web form are 3 different ViewStates:

    1. ViewState on the UpdateFacility.aspx

    2. ViewState on the SearchFacility.ascx

    3. ViewState on the AddEditFacility.ascx´

    But why?

    One possibility that I see is to make this:

    Application.Add("currentFacilityOID", _ddlFacilities.SelectedItem.Value);

    But I don't want to use the Application object.

    Exists any possibility to share data between two controls on the same web
    form????

    Best Regards,

    gicio

    Guest, Jan 8, 2004

  2. kelly leahy

    kelly leahy Guest

    How to share data between two controls????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

    >Exists any possibility to share data between two

    controls on the same web
    >form????

    What about adding a hidden element to the form and using
    it to share the info?

    Just make an <INPUT TYPE=HIDDEN ID="someID"></INPUT>.

    On the postback, you can refer to it with Request.Form
    ["someID"] to get the value.

    Kelly

    kelly leahy, Jan 8, 2004

  3. Eran Amitai

    Eran Amitai Guest

    All you need to do is handle the SelectedIndexChanged event of the
    SearchFacility dropdown and in the handler set the edit box value.
    EditBox.Text = DropList.SelectedValue.

    Eran Amitai, Jan 11, 2004