How to stop a user control from loading

adiel_g

I added a user control to a webform in Asp.net 2.0. I am also adding
several other user controls to this webform. Now I am trying to find
a way to stop the user controls from loading up when I call the
webform. I could possibly have 10 user controls in this page and I
would not want all of them to load up. I would like to control which
user control loads up. I have tried placing each user control in a
separate placeholder and then disabling the place holder for the
controls I don't need on the page_load of the webform. But, I notice
the control still loads because I placed a break point in the
page_load of the user control and it is still being hit. I even tried
using the following code:

Me.Controls.Remove(UserControl1)

In the page_load of the main webform but the controls still loads!
How can I stop the user control from loading up at all? I hope this
is not a limitation of Asp.net 2.0 in that the user control HAS to
load once it is added to a webform...

Thanks Before Hand,
Adiel

Riki

[...]

It's because the controls are already loaded before the execution of
Page_Load in the page.

Why exactly do you want to stop them from loading?
Is making them invisible not enough?

If you really want to stop them from loading, you should go for the reverse
approach:
remove all of the controls from the webform in design, and add them
programmatically in Page_Load.

Riki

adiel_g

Hello Riki:

Why exactly do you want to stop them from loading?

I want to stop them from loading because each user control is doing
additional loading of data, etc. Even when it is not needed

Is making them invisible not enough?

Making them invisible will still load the control. You can see this
when you debug, it still loads the control.

If you really want to stop them from loading, you should go for the reverse
approach:
remove all of the controls from the webform in design, and add them
programmatically in Page_Load.

Thank you, I guess if there is no way to "unload" them, I will have to
use your approach: to load them
programmatically and remove them from the webform design. I hope they
will add an "unload" feature
for vs2008.

Thanks,
Adiel