How to uncompress a VOB file? (Win XP)

Steven D'Aprano

The same way as you compressed it, only in reverse.

When you ask a sensible question, I'm sure that somebody will give you a
sensible answer.

Mark Lawrence

Either

a) write some code and when and if it fails give us a small code snippet
that demonstates the problem with the complete traceback.

or

b) state how much you are willing to pay for someone here to come up
with a solution for you.

PythonAB

Either

a) write some code and when and if it fails give us a small code snippet that demonstates the problem with the complete traceback.

or

b) state how much you are willing to pay for someone here to come up with a solution for you.

or... go out and buy the DVD it's ripped from... ;)

Xantipius

Either

a) write some code and when and if it fails give us a small code snippet
that demonstates the problem with the complete traceback.

or

b) state how much you are willing to pay for someone here to come up
with a solution for you.

Mark, in regard your last remark:
it's just a recreation for me. Nothing more in it.
I like to put some weird and useless problems before myself.

Cheers.

Xantipius

Have a look at PyMedia.

Miki, I've just downloaded this. Thanks.

A quote from their website:
Video file as pictures
Save your video clip into the set of BMP pictures and enjoy your
favourite snapshot.
Get your video back after you have it as pictures

This is exactly what I was looking for.

Chris Angelico

Mark, in regard your last remark:
it's just a recreation for me. Nothing more in it.
I like to put some weird and useless problems before myself.

In that case, I strongly recommend that you write some code instead of
throwing zero-effort questions onto a mailing list.

Though this sort of request does tend to have amusement value. Thanks Ben!

ChrisA

Mark Lawrence

Mark, in regard your last remark:
it's just a recreation for me. Nothing more in it.
I like to put some weird and useless problems before myself.

Cheers.

Is it your normal practice to communicate with yourself via a public
mailing list/news group? When did you seek my permission to call me by
my forename?

Steven D'Aprano

When did you seek my permission to call me by my forename?

Sheesh. It's 2012, not 1812. If you sign your posts with your full name,
you have to expect that people will call you "Mark" rather than "Mr
Lawrence" or "Lord High Mucky-Muck Grand Poohbar Lawrence" -- even if
they haven't been formally introduced.

Mark, we're all human and the occasional snark is only to be expected,
but demanding that people ask permission to call you by your first name
in an informal forum like this crosses the line to total dickishness.
Chill out before you get yourself kill-filed into irrelevance.

Mark Lawrence

Sheesh. It's 2012, not 1812. If you sign your posts with your full name,
you have to expect that people will call you "Mark" rather than "Mr
Lawrence" or "Lord High Mucky-Muck Grand Poohbar Lawrence" -- even if
they haven't been formally introduced.

Mark, we're all human and the occasional snark is only to be expected,
but demanding that people ask permission to call you by your first name
in an informal forum like this crosses the line to total dickishness.
Chill out before you get yourself kill-filed into irrelevance.

For the record I was asked to use my full name rather than my user name
on Python mailing lists. But see also my earlier reply to you on the
"save dictionary to a file without brackets" thread.

Steven D'Aprano

On 14/08/2012 04:00, Steven D'Aprano wrote: [...]
For the record I was asked to use my full name rather than my user name
on Python mailing lists. But see also my earlier reply to you on the
"save dictionary to a file without brackets" thread.

And thank you for your reasonable reply.

I don't remember anything about this request to use your full name. I
won't speak for others, but I support the right of people to be known by
whatever (reasonable, non-offensive) name or names they choose on
informal mailing lists like this, so long as they give *some* moniker
that others can refer to them by.

If somebody here wants to be known as "Mr Smith", or "Professor Jones",
or "Tomato Girl the Boy Wonder" for that matter, then they need only sign
their posts that way and give that in their From address, and I will use
it. The pattern "Personal-Name Family-Name" is not the only naming system
in the world.

http://www.kalzumeus.com/2010/06/17/falsehoods-programmers-believe-about-names/

(However, I don't promise not to roll my eyes if they choose a silly
moniker, and I am the final arbitrator as to what counts as silly.)

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Mark said:
Mark, in regard your last remark:
it's just a recreation for me. Nothing more in it.
I like to put some weird and useless problems before myself.

Is it […] normal practice to communicate with yourself via a public
mailing list/news group?

No, it is not. However, I would not expect too much from a Google Groups
user who posts under pseudonym without a reasonable message body. Probably
they are not even aware that they are on Usenet, thinking that they are
posting to a Web forum instead.
When did you seek my permission to call me by my forename?

AIUI, in English (which is not my native language), it is customary that
peers call themselves by their first names (in other languages, too). This
does not necessarily indicate familiarity. We are all peers on/in this
mailing list/newsgroup working on different aspects of the same problem:
learning how to write good Python programs.

So you should not be surprised to be called and referred to by your first
name or nick name. In fact, on Usenet it is usually considered an
appreciation of the person so addressed *not* to use their last name. If
you are called by someone by your last name only, you probably did that
someone very wrong (or encountered a hypersensitive entity, or you are being
trolled; depends).

However, communication that really only concerns two people should be
limited to private e-mail (which is what the mandatory address header fields
are for). (I think this one should be public, for other newbies.)

HTH. And trim your quotes to the relevant minimum, please.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Mark said:
For the record I was asked to use my full name rather than my user name
on Python mailing lists.

Apples and oranges.

Probably you were asked that so that your postings could be distinguished
from that of the other potential Marks around here. Some people, including
me, also consider posting under real name a basic act of politeness and form
towards the reader, equivalent of an introduction of oneself. Important
enouth that, if not showed, will reduce the probability for an answer
(sometimes down to zero). For the record shows that if one aspect of
politeness is ignored, other aspects are usually ignored as well. People
tend to hide behind pseudo-anonymity; they tend to write impolite things
*intentionally* which they would not do if their real name was known and so
their reputation IRL would be at stake.

Here endeth the lesson ;-)

Chris Angelico

Probably you were asked that so that your postings could be distinguished
from that of the other potential Marks around here.

I have my surname in my From address, but I tend to sign my posts
"ChrisA" (no relation, btw, to DaveA, though our surnames are
similar). That's generally been sufficient for distinguishing
purposes, though if anyone wants a truly unique handle for me,
"Rosuav" is more effective than my real name.
Some people, including
me, also consider posting under real name a basic act of politeness... People
tend to hide behind pseudo-anonymity; they tend to write impolite things
*intentionally* which they would not do if their real name was known and so
their reputation IRL would be at stake.

Agreed. Sometimes that's a good thing; there are places where
anonymity protection is important. But with these sorts of lists,
there's the potential to acquire a strong positive or strong negative
reputation; people who want a positive reputation usually want it
associated with *them*, not with some pseudonym.

Though I'm now not so sure about your name, PointedEars. Are you a
Vulcan or an elf?

ChrisA

Steven D'Aprano

I have my surname in my From address, but I tend to sign my posts
"ChrisA" (no relation, btw, to DaveA, though our surnames are similar).
That's generally been sufficient for distinguishing purposes, though if
anyone wants a truly unique handle for me, "Rosuav" is more effective
than my real name.

Mom? Is that you?

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Chris said:
I have my surname in my From address, but I tend to sign my posts
"ChrisA" (no relation, btw, to DaveA, though our surnames are
similar). That's generally been sufficient for distinguishing
purposes, though if anyone wants a truly unique handle for me,
"Rosuav" is more effective than my real name.

For one to read your signature, one has to download and read your entire
posting first.

Please use `[...]' or `[…]' to indicate omission instead. I could have
written `politeness...' myself.
Agreed. Sometimes that's a good thing; there are places where
anonymity protection is important. But with these sorts of lists,
there's the potential to acquire a strong positive or strong negative
reputation; people who want a positive reputation usually want it
associated with *them*, not with some pseudonym.
ACK.

Though I'm now not so sure about your name, PointedEars. Are you a
Vulcan or an elf?

That is a stupid question.

Chris Angelico

For one to read your signature, one has to download and read your entire
posting first.

And my signature has less information than the headers. So you're not
deprived of anything.
Please use `[...]' or `[…]' to indicate omission instead. I could have
written `politeness...' myself.

You might, indeed. But since the triple-period is a standard rendition
of the grammatical notion of ellipsis, it's a generally-understood
notation to indicate the possible omission of quoted text.
That is a stupid question.

Of course, my bad. The difference is obvious, I should have known
which without asking.

ChrisA