How to use Collection Editor for control

Juan Romero

Hey guys,

I am building a web control. Can someone give me a sample snippet or
explanation on how to use the collection editor to add/remove items to my
control's collection or array?

I am currently using an array to hold a number of items of a class X, I am
able to make the collection editor appear (ellipses button appears on
property, upon click, collection editor window comes up), I add items, edit
class X properties and everything goes well, but when I close the editor and
reopen it
again, all my items are gone. It looks like it is not saving back to the
class array.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Stanley Glass

You need to create your own collection editor like so:
Code:
Public Class myCollectionEditor
Inherits CollectionEditor

Public Sub New(ByVal type As Type)
MyBase.New(type)
End Sub

Protected Overrides Function CreateCollectionItemType() As Type
Return GetType(Car)
End Function
End Class

Then set the Editor property of your property like so:
Code:
<Editor(GetType(myCollectionEditor), GetType(UITypeEditor))> _
Public Property CarsCollection() As Cars
Get
Return _cars
End Get
Set(ByVal Value As Cars)
_cars = Value
End Set
End Property

HTH
-Stanley

Juan Romero

Thank you. I did this and everything worked out. I built a nice collection
editor for my menu control!.