How to use response output with a stringwriter?

darrel

I'm creating an RSS feed based off of this tutorial:

http://www.uberasp.net/ArticlePrint.aspx?id=17

In a nutshell, they are doing:

Response.Clear()
Response.ContentType = "text/xml"
....use xmltextwriter to create xml...
response.end()

I want to do the same, but instead of using an xmltextwriter, I'm using XSLT
to create the XML file. I'm stumped on how dto do this. I currently have:

Response.Clear()
Response.ContentType = "text/xml"
....set up xslt...
Dim sw As New StringWriter
xslt.Transform(doc, xslArg, sw, Nothing)
sw.Write(sw.ToString) // <-- where I'm stumped
response.end()

That doesn't work. How do I get a Stringwriter to output it's content into
the response?

-Darrel

darrel

That doesn't work. How do I get a Stringwriter to output it's content
into the response?

Ok, this has to be one of the biggest brainfarts I ever had.

response.write(sw.tostring)

duh! ;o)

-Darrel

Cowboy \(Gregory A. Beamer\)

Since you are transforming, you probably have an HTML page (not necessarily
as you can make XML + XSLT = XML or XML + XSLT = text). If you do have an
HTML page, get rid of the text/xml. You will have to go to a stream, not a
streamwriter.

The final chapters of ADO.NET and XML: ASP.NET on the edge show a 1.0
transform to a stream (it is different in 2.0). You can download from
http://www.wiley.com/extras. This will at least have you understand writing
to a stream. Unfortunately, I do not have a 2.0 code sample, but it should
be fairly similar, although the transform class has changed. Short story:
The downloaded code WILL blow up in 2.0, but it is useful for understanding
the idea.

--
Gregory A. Beamer
MVP; MCP: +I, SE, SD, DBA