How to use: WYSIWYG?

Guest

Hello -

I am trying to implement a basic WYSIWYG feature on my website so that i can
edit in HTML format basic text on my website and have this text saved (with
the HTML formatting) in my MS SQL database. Can anyone suggest a free WYSIWYG
control, or a similar way to do this?

Thanks!

Sam Samnah

You can either go to www.htmlarea.com and look at a selection of controls
that will do what you want. Otherwise, if you want to create your own
control you have to set a div or span tag to CONTENTEDITABLE="true" and then
use some form of client-side code to pass the information from the <Div> or
<Span> to a form input control such as <TextArea>,<Input type="hidden"> tag
and manipulate the Text or value property associated with the input control.

Hope this helps. Otherwise if you want to wait a day or two I can send you
the control I am building without any cost.

Sam-

Alan Silver

FreeTextBox

If you can get it to work.

I wasted a load of time with this control and couldn't even get their
supplied sample to work. The docs are almost non-existent and they never
bothered answering my support call.

I wouldn't bother with it if I were you. There are plenty of other
controls around. I'm still trying to find a good one myself, but I'm
sure there are plenty much better that FTB.

Alan Silver

I am trying to implement a basic WYSIWYG feature on my website so that i can
edit in HTML format basic text on my website and have this text saved (with
the HTML formatting) in my MS SQL database. Can anyone suggest a free WYSIWYG
control, or a similar way to do this?

FWIW I have been trying SOEditor from www.siteobjects.com. The Lite
version is free and does everything you are likely to need. The docs
seem pretty good and I had it running with little effort.

Recommended so far ;-)

Guest

Alan,

This control works great. Thanks. Quick question - using code behind, have
you figured out how to get the actual value of the formatted text? I can only
manage getting the actual string value (result) by doing a post-back to a
separate page (as in the examples) and reading the post value (query string)
???

Thanks again,