How to write a time delay function?

CBFalconer

John said:
Mark McIntyre wrote:
.... snip ...

*gg* I know. But if you know better, why not correct it?

Did you never make a mistake, or even a typo? The point is that
the experts on that foreign system are not here, they are on some
other newsgroup. So there is nobody available to point out your
errors, if any. Thus the only sane thing to do is to redirect the
user to the appropriate newsgroup.

John F

Keith said:
John F said:
Why not? :) It can be done. BTDT. It is as portable and
standardized
as any way to achieve this...

*gg* I know. But if you know better, why not correct it?
[snip]

Because this isn't the place for it.

He started the fire, not me :) I just wanted to know why he judged it
"Euh, no".
Assuming SetTimer and KillTimer are specific to MS Windows, there
are
a number of Windows-specific newsgroups full of people who know all
about this stuff. comp.lang.c, on the other hand, is constantly
inundated with off-topic posts; carring on off-topic technical
discussions here would only make it worse, and make things more
difficult for those of us who want to talk about C.

I know the "agenda" of this group.
I just gave a pointer on what he might have a closer look at while
trying to find his way through the (almost) endless fields of the
Windows API :).

Recently in the thread on accessing the serial port from XP there was
one post on topic to the thread (maybe 2 or 3, don't remember), ~30
complaining that the thread as a whole was not on topic, ~30 about the
response was not on topic or 100% correct (whereas IMHO it was legal
and correct) or that the response to the response....

BTW.:
There are dedicated off-topic NGs (borland.public.off-topic) where a
lot of fun is happening. You should have a look at it. It's moderated
and thus free of spam or rude/hateful stuff.

John F

CBFalconer said:
Did you never make a mistake, or even a typo?

Frequently but hardly ever on important stuff. I'm just too careful on
that. Communicating reliable information is not straight forward so I
double check before I actually post something.
The point is that
the experts on that foreign system are not here, they are on some
other newsgroup.

Maybe some are here too, "incognito".
So there is nobody available to point out your
errors, if any.

It was in reply to his

So I expected him to know something I don't know on that topic (which
may well be true, since I don't know everything).
I just gave some keywords the OP could have a look at, which are on
topic to the subject of this thread.
Thus the only sane thing to do is to redirect the
user to the appropriate newsgroup.

Yes. Has been done. I added keywords for the OP to dig into the
subjecto of timing under windows.

Mark McIntyre

He started the fire, not me :) I just wanted to know why he judged it
"Euh, no".

Because its not the way to do what he asked for, but explaining about
it is offtopic here.
I know the "agenda" of this group.

You put agenda in quotes, like it was something sinister. The only
possible reason for you to do that is becahse you are being
deliberately disingenuous.

--
Mark McIntyre

--Brian Kernighan

John F

Mark said:
Because its not the way to do what he asked for, but explaining
about
it is offtopic here.

It can be done that way.
You put agenda in quotes, like it was something sinister. The only
possible reason for you to do that is becahse you are being
deliberately disingenuous.

Um. Maybe :). I actually like c.l.c.. I still happen to notice the
redundancy of off-topic-calls and even the leagl answers. Bashing on
off-topic stuff shouldn't be stressed that much.