how to .....

Discussion in 'HTML' started by ano, Jan 2, 2004.

  1. ano

    ano Guest

    Hi,

    I am helping with an exposition in a small local museum. No fancy budgets.

    We want to place an older pc with win98 and run a slideshow with (on every
    'slide') pictures
    and text. Written in simple html. The visitor should be allowed to
    'mouseclick' links at the slides HTML pages to go to specific other parts of
    the
    slideshow. The keyboard will be removed and the visitor cannot make use of
    that.

    My problem is that i do not want the visitor to get into the system or in
    the menu of the browser to use (for instance by moving the mouse to the
    taskbar of win98 or by clicking in the menu of the browser.
    1) Can i somehow hide completly the menu of (what) browser?
    2) Can i somehow prefent the user to get to the win98 menus?
    3) Should i use some special browser for this purpose (although i would like
    to keep it to Internet Explorer as that is available on the pc that we can
    have on loan)?

    Any ideas?

    Hans

    ano, Jan 2, 2004

  2. ano

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <bt4elv$kcb$1.nb.home.nl>,
    says...
    > I am helping with an exposition in a small local museum. No fancy budgets..

    This sounds like a simple job for Flash.

    YMMV

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Jan 2, 2004

  3. Whitecrest wrote:
    >>I am helping with an exposition in a small local museum. No fancy budgets..

    > This sounds like a simple job for Flash.

    I agree, but it probably wouldn't be affordable.

    Leif K-Brooks, Jan 2, 2004
  4. ano

    PeterMcC Guest

    Whitecrest wrote:
    > In article <bt4elv$kcb$1.nb.home.nl>,
    > says...
    >> I am helping with an exposition in a small local museum. No fancy
    >> budgets..

    > This sounds like a simple job for Flash.
    >
    > YMMV

    I know it's a heresy hereabouts but... my inclination would be to go for a
    kiosk-mode PowerPoint presentation.

    --
    PeterMcC
    inappropriate or offensive in any way,

    PeterMcC, Jan 2, 2004
  5. ano

    Whitecrest Guest

    In article <VEjJb.671$>,
    says...
    > >>I am helping with an exposition in a small local museum. No fancy budgets..

    > > This sounds like a simple job for Flash.

    > I agree, but it probably wouldn't be affordable.

    Based on what was mentioned, a simple configurable Flash slide show
    might work great for you, and you can find tons of them for free at
    several sites like www.flashkit.com

    --
    Whitecrest Entertainment
    www.whitecrestent.com

    Whitecrest, Jan 2, 2004
  6. ano

    Augustus Guest

    "ano" <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am helping with an exposition in a small local museum. No fancy budgets.
    >
    > We want to place an older pc with win98 and run a slideshow with (on every
    > 'slide') pictures
    > and text. Written in simple html. The visitor should be allowed to
    > 'mouseclick' links at the slides HTML pages to go to specific other parts

    of
    > the
    > slideshow. The keyboard will be removed and the visitor cannot make use of
    > that.
    >
    > My problem is that i do not want the visitor to get into the system or in
    > the menu of the browser to use (for instance by moving the mouse to the
    > taskbar of win98 or by clicking in the menu of the browser.
    > 1) Can i somehow hide completly the menu of (what) browser?
    > 2) Can i somehow prefent the user to get to the win98 menus?
    > 3) Should i use some special browser for this purpose (although i would

    like
    > to keep it to Internet Explorer as that is available on the pc that we can
    > have on loan)?

    I think the simplest thing you can do here is write it up as an .hta file
    (HTML Application) and then put in some javascript (or VBScript) to disable
    the mouse right click

    As an HTML Application in full screen mode there won't be a title bar (so no
    "X" or minimize/maximize buttons) and without the keyboard they won't be
    able to close the application (I'm pretty sure that the only way you can
    close a full screen HTA is by pressing ALT-F4... so with no keyboard they
    can't do that) and they won't be able to access the start menu or the task
    bar at the bottom (full screen mode HTA will cover these items and you can't
    bring them up without the keyboard)

    If this were my project, I would even get rid of the mouse and go for a
    touchscreen monitor. You can buy a touch monitor for about $850-1200 US...
    if you can't afford that, I would try going to a local company that sells
    them and ask them to donate one.
    Why would they give you a $1000 monitor? First there is taxes... if you are
    a museum any donation made to you might be tax deductable (plus they deduct
    the full price of the monitor... even though they maybe only paid $800 for
    it, they write off $1000). Secondly, you could put a small brass plaque on
    the front of the monitor that reads something like "Monitor and Equipment
    donated by ................................." and thats advertising for the
    company (brass plaque would cost about $10-20 to make up). And finally it
    could increase community releations for the company... if the museum has
    some kind of "wall of donors" the company's name can go up there and in any
    press releases about this exhibit you can mention in them "and a special
    thanks to .......................... for donating the equipment to bring
    this exhibit to the public"

    But all that said, I think going with the HTML Application is the way to
    go... its just like an HTML page except it uses ActiveX components to
    override some of IE's settings (such as the title bar, tool bar, task bar,
    etc) and since its running local on your computer you don't have anything to
    worry about that (as compared to putting an HTA file on the web)

    Augustus, Jan 2, 2004
  7. ano

    brucie Guest

    in post <news:bt4elv$kcb$1.nb.home.nl>

    http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/operashow/

    --
    brucie
    03/January/2004 08:40:07 am kilo

    brucie, Jan 2, 2004
  8. PeterMcC wrote:
    > Whitecrest wrote:
    >> In article <bt4elv$kcb$1.nb.home.nl>,
    >> says...
    >>> I am helping with an exposition in a small local museum. No fancy
    >>> budgets..

    [snip]
    > I know it's a heresy hereabouts but... my inclination would be to go
    > for a kiosk-mode PowerPoint presentation.

    PP was my thought too.

    PP has all sorts of hyperlinking that people don't know about. For example in
    Slide Show > Action settings.

    (Unfortunately, I suspect MS doesn't know about all of them! The last time I
    used this, I found it a bit buggy).

    --
    Barry Pearson
    http://www.BirdsAndAnimals.info/

    Barry Pearson, Jan 3, 2004
  9. ano wrote:

    > My problem is that i do not want the visitor to get into the system or in
    > the menu of the browser to use (for instance by moving the mouse to the
    > taskbar of win98 or by clicking in the menu of the browser.

    Get Opera 7. Put it in Kiosk mode.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby A Inkster, Jan 3, 2004
  10. ano

    ano Guest

    "Augustus" <> schreef in bericht

    > "ano" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi,
    > > I am helping with an exposition in a small local museum. No fancy

    budgets.
    snip a lot
    > > My problem is that i do not want the visitor to get into the system or

    in
    > > the menu of the browser to use (for instance by moving the mouse to the
    > > taskbar of win98 or by clicking in the menu of the browser.
    > > 1) Can i somehow hide completly the menu of (what) browser?
    > > 2) Can i somehow prefent the user to get to the win98 menus?

    snip a lot
    > I think the simplest thing you can do here is write it up as an .hta file
    > (HTML Application) and then put in some javascript (or VBScript) to

    disable
    > the mouse right click
    >
    > As an HTML Application in full screen mode there won't be a title bar (so

    no
    > "X" or minimize/maximize buttons) and without the keyboard they won't be
    > able to close the application (I'm pretty sure that the only way you can
    > close a full screen HTA is by pressing ALT-F4... so with no keyboard they

    snip the rest

    Augustus,

    I experimented somewhat with HTA and i think this is the solution for me.
    Thanks for the tip!

    Two more questions. Maybe you or somebody else can help.

    1) Is there a way within HTML to make an image fit to a screen automatically
    if it is to large? I normally always used the widht/height attribute to fit
    a img to a screen. But for this job i have over 2500 pics in all different
    large sizes (to large for the screen i have - sometmes to heigh, sometimes
    to widht) that have to go in a slideshow. So making every single pic fit the
    best way into the screen would be a lot of work. If this is not possible to
    do it with HTML, i have to find me a programm that resizes every single
    picture either in widht or in height automatically to make it fitting as
    good as possible on a 1024x768 screen. So far i did not find a good prog for
    that.

    2) Any idea how i could get a vbscript as you propose to block the right
    mouse click? That is something i cannot make myself (as an amateur :)

    Regards
    Hans

    ano, Jan 3, 2004
  11. ano

    Augustus Guest

    "ano" <> wrote in message

    > Two more questions. Maybe you or somebody else can help.
    >
    > 1) Is there a way within HTML to make an image fit to a screen

    automatically
    > if it is to large? I normally always used the widht/height attribute to

    fit
    > a img to a screen. But for this job i have over 2500 pics in all different
    > large sizes (to large for the screen i have - sometmes to heigh, sometimes
    > to widht) that have to go in a slideshow. So making every single pic fit

    the
    > best way into the screen would be a lot of work. If this is not possible

    > do it with HTML, i have to find me a programm that resizes every single
    > picture either in widht or in height automatically to make it fitting as
    > good as possible on a 1024x768 screen. So far i did not find a good prog

    for
    > that.
    >
    > 2) Any idea how i could get a vbscript as you propose to block the right
    > mouse click? That is something i cannot make myself (as an amateur :)

    For #1... if the pictures are all the same size (when they are large) you
    could use HTML to scale them down... can't say how this will look for all
    images though
    ie: if an image is 2000x1000 resolution and you are running in 1024x768
    pixels, you could make all images 1000x500 pixels

    For #2... thats the "oncontextmenu" to disable right click. Try putting
    this in your site:

    (If you have other items in your body tag, include them of course)

    Clint

    Augustus, Jan 3, 2004
  12. ano

    > For #2... thats the "oncontextmenu" to disable right click. Try putting
    > this in your site:

    Clint, thanks again. This oncontextmenu is working.

    Now I have to find me a photoeditor that resizes 2500 img for best quality
    on a 1024-768 screen. Problem is that some are much to wide, and some are
    much to high and some are both ways to large. And i want to make them fit
    best either in widht (if they are to width) or in height (if they are to
    high).

    Thanks again....

    Hans

    ano, Jan 3, 2004
  13. Also sprach ano:

    > Now I have to find me a photoeditor that resizes 2500 img for best
    > quality on a 1024-768 screen. Problem is that some are much to wide,
    > and some are much to high and some are both ways to large. And i want
    > to make them fit best either in widht (if they are to width) or in
    > height (if they are to high).

    As bandwidth is not an issue in this special case: If you specify *only* a
    height *or* only a width then the other dimension will automatically be set
    so that the width/height ratio is preserved. Or you set both width and
    height, but then, of course, pictures with a different ratio will be
    distorted.

    Thomas Mlynarczyk, Jan 4, 2004