    numeric_std for some of the examples in the textbook. Our question is: How
    widely used is the numeric_std package in practice?

    -- Charles H. Roth, UT Austin

    Chuck Roth, Sep 7, 2005

  2. Chuck Roth wrote:
    > We are working on a second edition of "Digital Systems Design Using VHDL".
    > The present edition uses the std_logic_arith or std_logic_unsigned
    > package for arithmetic operations. We are debating whether to switch to
    > numeric_std for some of the examples in the textbook.

    You should consider changing all of the examples.
    I'll even check them for you.

    > Our question is: How
    > widely used is the numeric_std package in practice?

    Most of the readers of this newsgroup are
    advocates of ieee.numeric_std.
    Count these up and see what you get:
    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=vhdl numeric_std std_logic_arith

    -- Mike Treseler

    Mike Treseler, Sep 8, 2005

  3. "Mike Treseler" <> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
    > Chuck Roth wrote:
    >> We are working on a second edition of "Digital Systems Design Using
    >> VHDL". The present edition uses the std_logic_arith or
    >> std_logic_unsigned package for arithmetic operations. We are debating
    >> whether to switch to numeric_std for some of the examples in the
    >> textbook.

    > You should consider changing all of the examples.
    > I'll even check them for you.
    >
    >> Our question is: How widely used is the numeric_std package in practice?

    > Most of the readers of this newsgroup are
    > advocates of ieee.numeric_std.

    FULL ACK

    Thomas Entner, Sep 8, 2005
  4. Chuck Roth

    Jim Lewis Guest

    Chuck,
    I would add that the VHDL standards groups are doing things
    to compel you to move in this direction.

    The plan for VHDL-2006 is for std_logic_1164 and numeric_std
    to be included as part of 1076. Another part of the plan is to
    expand what is locally static to allow array operations.
    Combine both of these and array operations (from std.standard,
    std_logic_1164, and numeric_std) within a case statement
    will be permitted.

    While this does not prevent people from using std_logic_arith,
    std_logic_arith is not an IEEE standard and hence operations
    in this package will not be locally static.

    Best Regards,
    Jim Lewis

    P.S.
    Current plans for vhdl-2006 is to include a new package
    called numeric_std_unsigned.

    > We are working on a second edition of "Digital Systems Design Using VHDL".
    > The present edition uses the std_logic_arith or std_logic_unsigned
    > package for arithmetic operations. We are debating whether to switch to
    > numeric_std for some of the examples in the textbook. Our question is: How
    > widely used is the numeric_std package in practice?
    >
    > -- Charles H. Roth, UT Austin

    Jim Lewis
    Director of Training mailto:
    1-503-590-4787