How would I do this?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by JD, Apr 7, 2006.

  1. JD

    JD Guest

    Hi

    Suppose I have a gradient body background, dark blue at the top, light
    blue at the bottom. The gradient is 600 px high. The body background is
    set to the same colour as the last colour in the gradient, so it will
    look fine on any res.

    Now, suppose I have a center-alighed div for my content. The div will
    have various heights, depending on the content. I want the div to have a
    drop shadow that goes under the div at the bottom.

    Pretty trivial if your background is a solid colour (I could create a
    widthx1px background image and have it repeat-y down the div, and then
    put another div underneath with the image to close the shadow) but how
    is it done on a gradient background? I can't repeat a 1px shadow because
    the colours won't be in keeping with most of the gradient. I could
    impose a minimum height on the div to that of the gradient, and then
    have a shadow image as high as the div, but how would I cater for pages
    which exceeded this height, and needed shadows to continue past the end
    of the gradient?

    Is there an elegant solution?
    JD, Apr 7, 2006

  2. JD

    Dylan Parry Guest

    Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", JD finally
    proclaimed:

    > Is there an elegant solution?

    How about using a 24-bit PNG with alpha transparency for those browsers
    that support it, with the appropriate filters in place for the one that
    doesn't?

    --
    Dylan Parry
    Dylan Parry, Apr 7, 2006

  3. Dylan Parry wrote:
    > Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", JD finally
    > proclaimed:
    >
    >> Is there an elegant solution?

    > How about using a 24-bit PNG with alpha transparency for those browsers
    > that support it, with the appropriate filters in place for the one that
    > doesn't?

    Or the above and a 'screened' GIF* for those that don't
    *alternating black (or dark shadow color) and transparent pixel in a gid
    that gives a crude transparent shadow...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO